Two of Strolleria’s best-selling strollers are the stylish UPPAbaby Vista V2 and Nuna MIXX Next. Both of these strollers are beautiful, high-quality strollers that have robust wheels with all-wheel suspenion, generous storage baskets, simple folds, and easily become travel systems with compatible car seats. You can read a detailed comparison here of these two strollers by themselves.
In this article, we will specifically compare these two strollers as travel systems - meaning with an infant car seat attached. We will look at the UPPAbaby Vista V2 with the all new MESA Max and the Nuna MIXX Next with the all new PIPA urbn.
UPPAbaby VISTA V2 and MESA Max
The UPPAbaby VISTA V2 is a versatile stroller that can grow with your family or be used with twins! It’s sold as a single stroller with included bassinet, and can later convert to a double stroller with the purchase of a second seat. If expecting twins, or a second child, you can purchase it as a double from the start. The VISTA V2 can also become an easy travel system with the purchase of a compatible car seat.
UPPAbaby offers two different car seats that work effortlessly with the Vista V2 - the MESA V2 released in October 2022 and the MESA Max coming next month. You can see a comparison post of these two different car seat models here. These have replaced the original MESA car seat.
Both car seats click on the stroller without adapters and can be removed with one hand, however, for this comparison we will focus on the MESA Max only.
The MESA Max was announced in 2022, but is coming to stores in early 2023. The MESA Max has a new base that adds two leading safety features: a steel-reinforced load leg and an anti-rebound panel. Both features work to stabilize the base in a crash, limiting movement to prevent head and neck injury.
Nuna MIXX Next and PIPA urbn
The Nuna MIXX Next is the Dutch manufacturer's most popular stroller. It differs from the UPPAbaby VISTA V2 in that it is only a single stroller and cannot expand as your family grows. However, its sturdy all-terrain wheels, oversized canopy, beautiful textiles, easy fold, and weight/size make it similar and often compared to the VISTA V2.
The MIXX Next is newborn-ready when you recline the stroller seat to its true-flat position, add a bassinet sold separately, or connect a Nuna PIPA infant car seat to the frame.
In this comparison we will be looking at the all new Nuna PIPA urbn car seat that is sold only in combination with one of three strollers - the TRVL, TRIV Next, or Nuna MIXX Next. This new, innovative infant car seat attaches easily to the Nuna MIXX Next stroller with the included adapter, and installs without a base in your vehicle! Simply untuck the rigid latches from underneath the car seat and click them into your car’s ISOFIX - the latch system built into your car’s seat - and that's it!
UPPAbaby VISTA V2 and MESA Max vs. Nuna MIXX Next and PIPA urbn Price
When purchased as a travel system, the UPPAbaby VISTA V2 and MESA MAX cost $200-230 (depending on MESA Max selection) more than the Nuna MIXX Next and PIPA urbn. However, the VISTA V2 includes the bassinet in the same box as the stroller. For the MIXX Next, the bassinet is sold separately for $350, which includes a stand. However, unlike the VISTA V2, you do not need the bassinet with the MIXX Next as the seat lies flat and can be used from birth.
If you're planning to have multiple children close in age, you could argue that the VISTA V2 saves you money in the long run since you would only need to spend $220 for a second seat versus an entire new double stroller.
The VISTA V2 also includes more accessories than the MIXX Next. The purchase of a VISTA V2 includes the stroller with one toddler seat, bassinet, a rain cover for the stroller, bug covers for the stroller and bassinet, and a bassinet storage bag. Included with the MESA Max is the car seat and updated base.
Included with the MIXX Next are the stroller with toddler seat and the car seat adapter for the Nuna series of car seats. Included with the PIPA urbn is the car seat with built in rigid latch, so no base included or ever needed.
UPPAbaby VISTA V2 and MESA Max vs. Nuna MIXX Next and PIPA urbn Weight and Dimensions
The car seats do vary quite a bit in weight as Nuna is known for its lighter weight infant car seats. The PIPA urbn is about 2.9 pounds less than the MESA Max.
Compared with the VISTA V2, the Nuna MIXX Next is more compact when folded by about 5 inches. It is also considerably shorter when open as it does not have to accommodate two stroller seats. However, the VISTA V2 has a bigger toddler seat and may be more comfortable for bigger/taller children.
- MESA Max: 32 inches / also outgrown if baby’s head is within 1” from top of car seat
- PIPA Urbn: 29 inches / also outgrown if baby’s head is within 1” from top of car seat
Stroller Seat Height
- VISTA V2: 20"
- MIXX Next: 20"
Stroller Seat to Canopy Height
- VISTA V2: 23" - at highest level - adjustable on the VISTA V2
- MIXX Next: 20.5"
Stroller Leg Rest Length
- VISTA V2: 11" - plus a 2.5" footrest
- MIXX Next: 7.25" - no additional footrest on stroller seat although there is one built into the stroller frame
- VISTA V2: 39.5"H x 25.7"W x 36”L
- MIXX Next: 44"H x 23.5"W x 32.7”L
- VISTA V2: 33"H x 25.7"W x 17.3”L
- MIXX Next: 19"H x 23.6"W x 27.5"L
- VISTA V2: 8" front wheels; 11.5" rear wheels
- MIXX Next: 7.5" front wheels; 11" rear wheels
UPPAbaby VISTA V2 and MESA Max vs. Nuna MIXX Next and PIPA urbn Configurations
UPPAbaby VISTA V2 / MESA Max
The MESA Max easily attaches to the UPPAbaby Vista V2 without the use of any adaptors. You simply click each side of the car seat onto the stroller frame. The car seat can face either direction, but most prefer to have their baby facing them. To remove the car seat from the stroller, you only have to press the button on top of the car seat handle bar and pull up! Truly one handed. Pop the car seat into the car seat base or use the seatbelt to buckle it in using the European style installation, and you’re ready to go!
Once your baby is about three months old, she can begin using the stroller seat. The stroller seat on the UPPAbaby VISTA V2 is removable and reversible, allowing your child to face you when they're younger, and face forward to explore the world as they grow.
Nuna MIXX Next / PIPA urbn
The Nuna PIPA urbn works similarly to the MESA Max on the VISTA V2, however, it uses the included Nuna ring adapter to attach to the MIXX Next stroller. The adapter easily clicks onto both sides of the stroller frame, and the car seat clicks and locks on top. To remove the car seat, you squeeze a lever in the back of the car seat and pull up with the handlebar at the same time. When you are ready to get in your car, you swivel the rigid latch out from underneath the seat, find the ISOFIX latch on your vehicle seat and click each side in! It couldn’t be any easier. There is no base for the PIPA urbn, and no base will work with it. It is always installed baseless. For cars that don’t have latch, you can buckle it in with the seatbelt using the European style installation method.
The Nuna MIXX Next stroller seat can be used from day one with your newborn. It can face you in the early days or face out once your baby grows and becomes more curious.
Of course, the VISTA V2 offers more positions than the MIXX Next, as it can convert into a double stroller with a number of configurations involving the stroller seats, infant car seat and bassinet. See the double configurations for the VISTA V2 below.
The photos below shows the MIXX Next configurations.
UPPAbaby MESA Max vs. Nuna PIPA urbn Installation
MESA Max Installation
The MESA Max can be installed in a matter of seconds, with helpful indicators to signal a safe installation. First, ensure the car seat is level by checking the indicator on the side - there is a bubble on the MESA Max.
Push the orange buttons to release the LATCH connectors, then attach them to the anchors in your car. The connectors automatically tighten for a secure fit, and indicators change from red to green when you push down on the base.
Make sure you extend the load leg to the floor of your car, checking for the green indicators on the top and bottom of the leg to ensure proper positioning.
The MESA Max can also be installed using only the vehicle seatbelt, allowing you to ditch the heavy base for travel and taxis. It offers European-style installation, which involves threading the vehicle seatbelt over and behind the seat. Additionally, the carry handle can rotate forward to prevent rebounding. This style of installation mimics the use of a load leg and makes the rebound much less.
Nuna PIPA urbn with pipaFIX Rigid Latch Connector Installation
The PIPA urbn can be installed in a matter of seconds, with helpful indicators to signal a safe installation.
The PIPA urbn is installed using the steel-reinforced pipaFIX™ rigid latches that are built into the car seat. There is no base required for the Urbn, and it is not compatible with PIPA™ series base or RELX™ base.
You simply hinge the attached pipaFIX™ rigid latches forward from under the car seat, find the latch in your vehicle, line them up and click them on to attach. You can then adjust the angle of the seat if needed using the indicator line on the side of the car seat. That’s it!
You can also install the PIPA Urbn using the European-style installation method. You can choose to do both install methods at the same time as well - a feature not seen on most seats. This style of installation mimics the use of a load leg and makes the rebound much less.
UPPAbaby VISTA V2 and MESA Max vs. Nuna MIXX Next and PIPA urbn Colors
- Greyson Charcoal Melange
- Anthony White and Grey Chenille
- Stella Brushed Grey Melange
- Declan Oat Melange
- Alice Dusty Pink
- Gregory Blue Melange
- Jake Black
- Noa Navy
- Gwen Green Melange
- Anthony White Grey Marl
- Noa Navy Melange
- Jake Charcoal Black
- Gregory Blue Melange*
- Greyson Charcoal Melange*
*merino wool fabric
The Nuna MIXX Next and PIPA urbn are sold as a one box travel system and is only offered in one color.
Nuna MIXX Next and PIPA urbn:
- Caviar black
UPPAbaby VISTA V2 and MESA Max vs. Nuna MIXX Next and PIPA Urbn Features
Features the VISTA V2 / MESA Max and Nuna MIXX Next / PIPA urbn share
- Removable and reversible stroller seat
- All-wheel suspension
- Telescoping handlebar on the stroller
- Extendable canopy on both car seat and stroller
- Easy fold
- Both car seats can be installed without a base
- Both car seats come with an infant insert and can be used starting at 4 pounds
- Both car seats are GREENGUARD Gold Certified
- Machine washable fabrics
Features unique to the VISTA V2 / MESA Max
VISTA V2 stroller:
- Comes with an overnight approved bassinet
- Can grow with your family and become a double or even a triple with the use of the PiggyBack Board
- Comes with rain cover for the stroller, bug covers for the stroller and bassinet, and a bassinet storage bag
- UPPAbaby offers more accessories
- Hand-stitched, real genuine leather on the handlebar and belly bar
- More colors offered
- Height-adjustable canopy and adjustable footrest as your child grows
- Oversized storage basket holds up to 30 pounds
- Attaches to VISTA V2 without adapters
- No-rethread harness eliminating the need to take apart the harness system as baby grows
- Higher limits: 4-35lb / 32” / head 1” from top of car seat
- Anti-rebound panel that stabilizes the base in a rear-impact collision
- Steel-reinforced, adjustable load leg limits forward rotation in a frontal crash, reducing the risk of head and neck injury
Features unique to the Nuna MIXX Next / PIPA urbn
MIXX Next stroller:
- Seat reclines flat and is approved for newborns
- Easy magnetic buckles
- Can fold no matter what position the seat is facing
- Hand-sewn, leather-look handlebar and belly bar
- Trolley function making it easy to carry when not in use
- Weighs just 7 pounds
- Attaches to the Nuna MIXX Next with included ring adapter
- Hand-sewn leather-look carry handle
- Only installs baseless with new innovative attached rigid latch
- “Sky Drape” - unzips out of canopy and attaches quietly with magnets to the front of the car seat providing even more shade coverage
- Ventilation and large peak-a-boo window
- Integrated magnetic buckle holders help keep straps out of the way when buckling baby in
UPPAbaby VISTA V2 vs. Nuna MIXX Next Bassinet
The VISTA bassinet is included with your stroller purchase, while the MIXX bassinet (with included stand) is available separately for $350
A bassinet allows your baby to lie flat on their back rather in a slightly-curved positioning in an infant car seat. Both the VISTA and MIXX bassinets are well-ventilated with mesh panels, which allow for more air flow than the hot, protective foam of a car seat, and keep baby completely shaded from the sun. The MIXX bassinet includes Nuna's signature Sky Drape, a magnetized cover, while the UPPAbaby bassinet includes a UPF 50+ visor that extends from the canopy.
Both bassinets have a hard bottom that allow them to be placed anywhere, making them convenient to bring along for a restaurant nap.
Both Nuna and UPPAbaby also offer a bassinet stand, which many parents use to create baby's first crib at their bedside. And both stands still come in handy after the baby outgrows the bassinet around 6 months. The Nuna MIXX stand (included in the $350 bassinet price) can also be used with the stroller seat as a portable high chair, while the UPPAbaby bassinet stand (purchased separately for $149.95) can be paired with a fabric insert for its next life as a laundry hamper.
Both bassinets can be used until approximately 6 months, depending mostly on the height of the baby. The MIXX bassinet might buy your baby a bit more time in the bassinet, as it's four inches longer than the VISTA bassinet.
- VISTA V2: 25"H x 17"W x 31"L
- MIXX Next: 24.5"H x 16.5"W x 35"L
Bassinet Height and Weight Limit
- VISTA V2: 20 pounds or until baby can push up on hands and knees (whichever comes first)
- MIXX Next: 17 pounds or 27"
UPPAbaby VISTA V2 vs. Nuna MIXX Next Fold
The UPPAbaby VISTA V2 and Nuna MIXX Next are among the easiest strollers to fold, and both stand when folded—offering convenience for both storage and for lifting the stroller into the car. Plus, the fabrics don't touch the ground when either model is folded, preventing the stroller from getting dirty.
When the VISTA is folded, the exposed bumper bar is easy to grab for lifting the stroller. See how the VISTA V2 folds in this video.
Most strollers, including the VISTA V2, require the seat to be forward-facing to be folded, but the MIXX Next is a rare stroller that can be folded with the seat facing either direction.
The MIXX Next folds to a flat position and can be rotated to a standing position for lifting or trolleyed like a suitcase for carrying. See how to fold the Nuna MIXX Next in this video.
UPPAbaby VISTA V2 vs. Nuna MIXX Next Accessories
Accessories help you customize your stroller for the weather, your child's age and your own convenience, too. UPPAbaby offers more accessory options than Nuna, including a ride-along board for an older sibling, two types of parent bags and two weights for the footmuff.
UPPAbaby VISTA V2 accessories include:
- Cup holder
- Snack tray
- Travel bag
- Carry-all bag
- Parent organizer
- Bassinet stand
- Bassinet mattress cover
- Seat liner
- Infant SnugSeat
- PiggyBack ride-along board
- CozyGanoosh footmuff
Nuna offers the following accessories for the MIXX Next:
Benefits and Drawbacks
So which travel system is better: the UPPAbaby VISTA V2 and MESA Max or the Nuna MIXX Next and PIPA urbn? Only you can decide which is best for your family, but here are the benefits and drawbacks we see.
UPPAbaby VISTA V2 and MESA Max
- Can be expanded into a double stroller with ride-along board option for a third child
- Includes bassinet approved for overnight sleeping
- Compatible with infant car seats from several brands, including the UPPAbaby MESA Max and MESA V2, which do not require adapters
- Storage basket is among the largest of any stroller
- Weight is less than the MIXX Next while offering capacity for two children
- 3-year warranty is one year longer than Nuna warranty
- More color options than MIXX Next
- MESA Max has a no-rethread harness eliminating the need to take apart the harness system as baby grows
- MESA Max has higher limits before outgrown
- Anti-rebound panel and load leg safety features on MESA Max
- Costs $200 more than Nuna MIXX Next
- Option of expanding to a double stroller may not be necessary for some families
- Bassinet is included with purchase and may not be necessary for some families
- While seat reclines flat, footrest does not, leaving child's legs elevated while napping
- Harness buckle is not magnetic like that of MIXX Next
- MESA Max is 9.9 pounds versus 7 pounds for the PIPA urbn
Nuna MIXX Next and PIPA urbn
- Costs $200 less than VISTA
- Folds easily with seat facing either direction
- Trolleys when folded for easy carrying
- Seat reclines to true-flat position for infants and napping toddlers, while VISTA V2 seat has elevated footwell
- Includes ventilated seat back to help keep your child cool in warm weather
- Bassinet is longer than that of VISTA V2, helping to extend its use
- Includes magnetic harness buckle for faster entries and exits
- PIPA urbn only weighs 7 pounds
- PIPA urbn has built in rigid latch with a 2-second steel-reinforced pipaFIX rigid latch installation making set up swift, simple and above all – safe
- Sky Drape on the PIPA urbn - more ventilation and coverage
- GREENGUARD Gold Certified on all colors and fabrics
- Does not expand into double stroller
- Requires adapters (included with purchase) to attach car seat
- No adapters are made for other brands' car seats
- Fewer color options than VISTA V2
- Fewer accessories are available, compared with VISTA V2
- 2-year warranty is shorter than 3-year UPPAbaby warranty
- Lower weight and height limits on the PIPA urbn
If you're deciding between the UPPAbaby VISTA V2 with MESA Max and the Nuna MIXX Next with PIPA urbn, the real question might be what is your lifestyle like? Do you travel a lot, use multiple cars or take ride shares often? Are you planning a second child in the near future?
Of course no one can predict the timing of future children, but if you are hoping for multiple children close in age the VISTA V2 and MESA MAX may be for you! However, if your lifestyle is more on the go and you just want to get through one child at a time or you have older children, the Nuna MIXX Next and PIPA urbn may be right for your family! The PIPA urbn is a great car seat for those parents that love to travel, take ride shares often, or have multiple care givers driving their precious cargo around! Remember though, you can always resell these beautiful strollers down the road as your lifestyle and needs change! Happy shopping!
Strolleria is dedicated to making the baby gear buying experience less overwhelming for parents.
If you have more questions about the UPPAbaby VISTA V2 and MESA Max vs. Nuna MIXX Next and PIPA urbn debate, feel free to contact us at 480-442-9433, start a live chat, or email us at email@example.com.