UPPAbaby CRUZ V2 and MESA Max vs. Nuna TRIV Next and PIPA urbn Comparison
When stroller shopping many parents express they want something that’s easy to use, well-made and sturdy, but also not too heavy. Two strollers that meet these criteria and more are the UPPAbaby CRUZ V2 and Nuna TRIV Next. Both strollers have features everyone loves: reversible seats, easy push, generous storage baskets, simple folds, and easily become travel systems with compatible car seats. You can read a detailed comparison of these two strollers here.
In this article, we will specifically compare these two strollers as travel systems - meaning with an infant car seat attached. We will look at the UPPAbaby CRUZ V2 with the all new MESA Max and the Nuna TRIV Next with the all new PIPA urbn.
UPPAbaby CRUZ V2 and MESA Max
The UPPAbaby CRUZ V2 is UPPAbaby's full-featured single stroller geared towards parents who want it all, but in a more compact size than the convertible UPPAbaby VISTA V2 stroller. Even though it can’t hold two seats like the VISTA V2, it can hold two children with the use of the PiggyBack board accessory. The CRUZ V2 can also become an easy travel system with the purchase of a compatible car seat.
UPPAbaby offers two different car seats that work effortlessly with the CRUZ V2 - the MESA V2 and the MESA Max. You can see a comparison post of these two different car seat models here. These have replaced the original MESA car seat.
Both car seats click on the stroller without adapters and can be removed with one hand, however, for this comparison we will focus on the MESA Max only.
The MESA Max was announced in 2022, but is coming to stores in early 2023. The MESA Max has a new base that adds two leading safety features: a steel-reinforced load leg and an anti-rebound panel. Both features work to stabilize the base in a crash, limiting movement to prevent head and neck injury.
Nuna TRIV Next and PIPA urbn
Weighing less than 19 pounds, the TRIV Next is compact and easy to lift—without sacrificing important features like a reversible seat, one-handed recline and adjustable footrest. It's in a unique class of its own - it's both a great lighter weight travel option but also a full-size stroller! It's a perfect solution for parents who want one stroller that does it all, instead of having both a travel stroller and a full size stroller.
The TRIV Next was released in late 2022 and now includes an updated magnetic harness buckle and zip-off sun canopy. The modernized stroller frame has larger, foam-filled rubber tires with a wider wheel base and built-in foot rest for tall toddlers. Parents will enjoy updated comfort features like an ergonomic rounded handlebar and a sandal-friendly one-touch brake mechanism.
In this comparison we will be looking at the all new Nuna PIPA urbn car seat that is sold only in combination with one of three strollers - the TRVL, TRIV Next, or Nuna MIXX Next. This new, innovative infant car seat attaches easily to the Nuna TRIV Next stroller with the included adapter, and installs without a base in your vehicle! Simply untuck the rigid latches from underneath the car seat and click them into your car’s ISOFIX - the latch system built into your car’s seat.
UPPAbaby CRUZ V2 and MESA Max vs. Nuna TRIV Next and PIPA urbn Price
When purchased as a travel system, the UPPAbaby CRUZ V2 and MESA Max cost virtually the same as the Nuna TRIV Next and PIPA urbn. However, the CRUZ V2 includes a rain shield and bug shield that the TRIV Next does not include. Included with the MESA Max is the car seat and updated base. Included with the TRIV Next are the stroller and the car seat adapter for the Nuna PIPA series car seats. The PIPA urbn includes the car seat with built in rigid latch, so no base is required or compatible.
- CRUZ V2 and MESA Max: $1099.98 to $1129.98
- TRIV Next and PIPA urbn: $1100
UPPAbaby CRUZ V2 and MESA Max vs. Nuna TRIV Next and PIPA urbn Weight and Dimensions
Although both the CRUZ V2 and Nuna TRIV Next are full size strollers of similar size, the TRIV Next does weigh significantly less than the CRUZ V2. The TRIV Next is nearly 7 pounds less than the CRUZ V2, and is more compact when folded. It's a great option for those parents who want a full size stroller with great wheels in a lighter package.
As far as the seat size, the CRUZ V2 seat is going to be a bit larger. It's a great option for bigger/taller children! They will have an additional 2" in seat to canopy height, and the canopy can easily be moved up as your child grows!
The car seats also vary quite a bit in weight as Nuna is known for its lighter weight infant car seats. The PIPA urbn is about 2.9 pounds less than the MESA Max, which can feel significant when carrying it. However, the MESA Max has higher weight and height limits than the PIPA urbn so it will last your baby a little bit longer before having to upgrade to a convertible car seat!
- TRIV Next: 18.5 pounds (excluding seat insert, bumper bar, and canopy)
- PIPA urbn: 7 pounds (excluding infant insert and canopy)
- MESA Max: 32 inches / also outgrown if baby’s head is within 1” from top of car seat
- PIPA urbn: 29 inches / also outgrown if baby’s head is within 1” from top of car seat
- CRUZ V2: 37”L x 22.8”W x 40”H
- TRIV Next: 37”L x 22.5”W x 42-43.5”H
- CRUZ V2: 16.5”L x 22.8”W x 33”H
- TRIV Next: 24”L x 22.5”W x 15”H
Seat Back Height
- CRUZ V2: 20”
- TRIV Next: 19"
Seat to Canopy Height
- CRUZ V2: 23”
- TRIV Next: 21"
- CRUZ V2: 9.5" - not including leg rest - 18.5" with leg rest
- TRIV Next: 10" - not including leg rest - 16" with leg rest
- CRUZ V2: 7" front wheels; 10" rear wheels
- TRIV Next: 7" front wheels; 9" rear wheels
UPPAbaby CRUZ V2 and MESA Max vs. Nuna TRIV Next and PIPA urbn Configurations
UPPAbaby CRUZ V2 / MESA Max
The MESA Max easily attaches to the UPPAbaby CRUZ V2 without the use of any adapters. You simply click each side of the car seat onto the stroller frame. The car seat can face either direction, but most prefer to have their baby facing them. To remove the car seat from the stroller, you only have to press the button on top of the car seat handle bar and pull up! Truly one handed. Pop the car seat into the car seat base or use the seatbelt to buckle it in using the European style installation, and you’re ready to go!
To use the UPPAbaby CRUZ V2 from birth you will need to either connect a compatible car seat, purchase the UPPAbaby Bassinet, or use the Infant SnugSeat accessory to make the seat newborn ready. Once your baby is about three months old, they can begin using the stroller seat. The stroller seat on the UPPAbaby CRUZ V2 is removable and reversible, allowing your child to face you when they're younger and face forward to explore the world as they grow.
Nuna TRIV Next / PIPA urbn
The Nuna PIPA urbn works similarly to the MESA Max on the CRUZ V2, however, it uses the included Nuna ring adapter to attach to the TRIV Next stroller. The adapter easily clicks onto both sides of the stroller frame, and the car seat clicks and locks. To remove the car seat, you squeeze a lever in the back of the car seat and pull up with the handlebar at the same time. When you are ready to get in your car, you swivel the rigid latch out from underneath the seat, find the ISOFIX latch on your vehicle seat and click each side in! It couldn’t be any easier. There is no base for the PIPA urbn, and no base will work with it. It is always installed baseless. For cars that don’t have latch, you can buckle it in with the seatbelt using the European style installation method. You can also choose to do both (very few car seats allow you to do both methods at the same time).
To use the Nuna TRIV Next stroller with a newborn you would need to use a compatible Nuna PIPA car seat with the included adapter or purchase the TRIV bassinet (coming soon). The TRIV Next seat can be used with your baby when they are about three months old. They can face you in the early days or face out once they grows and becomes more curious.
UPPAbaby MESA Max vs. Nuna PIPA urbn Installation
MESA Max Installation
The MESA Max can be installed in a matter of seconds, with helpful indicators to signal a safe installation. First, ensure the car seat is level by checking the indicator on the side - there is a bubble on the MESA Max.
Push the orange buttons to release the LATCH connectors, then attach them to the anchors in your car. The connectors automatically tighten for a secure fit, and indicators change from red to green when you push down on the base.
Make sure you extend the load leg to the floor of your car, checking for the green indicators on the top and bottom of the leg to ensure proper positioning.
The MESA Max can also be installed using only the vehicle seatbelt, allowing you to ditch the heavy base for travel and taxis. It offers European-style installation, which involves threading the vehicle seatbelt over and behind the seat. Additionally, the carry handle can rotate forward to prevent rebounding. This style of installation mimics the use of a load leg and makes the rebound much less.
Nuna PIPA urbn with pipaFIX Rigid Latch Connector Installation
The PIPA urbn can be installed in a matter of seconds, with helpful indicators to signal a safe installation.
The PIPA urbn is installed using the steel-reinforced pipaFIX™ rigid latches that are built into the car seat. There is no base required for the urbn, and it is not compatible with PIPA™ series base or RELX™ base.
You simply hinge the attached pipaFIX™ rigid latches forward from under the car seat, find the latch in your vehicle, line them up and click them on to attach. You can then adjust the angle of the seat if needed using the indicator line on the side of the car seat. That’s it!
You can also install the PIPA urbn using the European-style installation method. You can choose to do both install methods at the same time as well - a feature not seen on most seats. This style of installation mimics the use of a load leg and makes the rebound much less.
UPPAbaby CRUZ V2 and MESA Max vs. Nuna TRIV Next and PIPA urbn Colors
The CRUZ V2 comes in a wide array of colors. You can choose the color of your stroller and mix it with any color of the MESA Max.
- Greyson Charcoal Melange
- Anthony White and Grey Chenille
- Declan Oat Melange
- Alice Dusty Pink
- Gregory Blue Melange
- Jake Black
- Noa Navy
- Gwen Green Melange
- Anthony White Grey Marl
- Noa Navy Melange
- Jake Charcoal Black
- Gregory Blue Melange*
- Greyson Charcoal Melange*
*merino wool fabric
The Nuna TRIV Next and PIPA urbn are sold as a one box travel system and is only offered in two colors.
Nuna TRIV Next and PIPA urbn:
- Caviar black
- Ocean blue
UPPAbaby CRUZ V2 and MESA Max vs. Nuna TRIV Next and PIPA urbn Features
Features the CRUZ V2 / MESA Max and Nuna TRIV Next / PIPA urbn share
- Removable and reversible stroller seat
- Multiple recline positions adjustable with one hand
- Adjustable calf support angles and integrated footrest
- Included, swing-out bumper bar
- No-rethread harness
- Canopy with UPF 50+ that has a zip out canopy extension
- Ventilated canopy panels
- All-wheel suspension
- Telescoping handlebar on the stroller
- Easy fold
- Extendable canopy on car seat
- Both car seats can be installed without a base
- Both car seats come with an infant insert and can be used starting at 4 pounds
- Machine washable fabrics
Features unique to the CRUZ V2 / MESA Max
CRUZ V2 stroller:
- Can carry two children with the use of the PiggyBack board accessory
- Comes with rain shield and bug shield for the stroller
- UPPAbaby offers more accessories
- Hand-stitched, real genuine leather on the handlebar and belly bar
- More colors offered
- Height-adjustable canopy as your child grows
- Longer calf support
- Oversized storage basket holds up to 30 pounds
- Attaches to CRUZ V2 without adapters
- No-rethread harness eliminating the need to take apart the harness system as baby grows
- Higher limits: 4-35lb / 32” / head 1” from top of car seat
- Anti-rebound panel that stabilizes the base in a rear-impact collision
- Steel-reinforced, adjustable load leg limits forward rotation in a frontal crash, reducing the risk of head and neck injury
Features unique to the Nuna TRIV Next / PIPA urbn
TRIV Next stroller:
- One hand, two step fold
- Easy magnetic buckles
- Can fold no matter what position the seat is facing
- Trolley function making it easy to carry when not in use
- Spring suspension technology under the seat for smooth rides
- Zip off canopy
- All-season seat keeps baby cozy in winter and easily converts to mesh in summer
- Removable insert that's lightweight and lightly textured with Merino wool and TENCEL lyocell
- Easy access zippered storage pocket on back of seat
- Luxe leatherette bumper bar and handlebar
- Weighs just 7 pounds
- Attaches to the Nuna TRIV Next with included ring adapter
- Hand-sewn leather-look carry handle
- Only installs baseless with new innovative attached rigid latch
- “Sky Drape” - unzips out of canopy and attaches quietly with magnets to the end of the car seat providing even more shade coverage
- Ventilation and large peak-a-boo window
- Integrated magnetic buckle holders help keep straps out of the way when buckling baby in
- GREENGUARD Gold certified
UPPAbaby CRUZ V2 and MESA Max vs. Nuna TRIV Next and PIPA urbn Bassinet
A bassinet does not come with the purchase of a CRUZ V2 and TRIV Next. However, they are an accessory you may want to consider! Both strollers offer a safe place for baby to sleep both in and outside of the stroller, as the bassinets for the UPPAbaby CRUZ V2 and Nuna TRIV Next are approved for overnight sleeping.
The UPPAbaby bassinet is $199.99, while the Nuna TRIV Next bassinet (coming soon!) is $350, but comes with a bassinet stand for your home. A stand is available to purchase for $159.99 from UPPAbaby.
A bassinet allows your baby to lie flat on her back rather in her slightly-curved positioning in an infant car seat. Both the CRUZ and TRIV bassinets are well-ventilated with mesh panels, which allow for more air flow than the hot, protective foam of a car seat, and keep baby completely shaded from the sun. The TRIV bassinet includes Nuna's signature Sky Drape, a magnetized cover, while the UPPAbaby bassinet includes a UPF 50+ visor that extends from the canopy.
Both bassinets have a hard bottom that allow them to be placed anywhere, making them convenient to bring along for a restaurant nap or an overnight at a hotel.
Both Nuna and UPPAbaby also offer a bassinet stand, which many parents use to create baby's first crib at their bedside. And both stands still come in handy after the baby outgrows the bassinet around 6 months. The Nuna TRIV Next bassinet stand (included in the $350 bassinet price) can also be used with the stroller seat as a portable high chair, while the UPPAbaby bassinet stand (purchased separately for $149.95) can be paired with a fabric insert for its next life as a laundry hamper.
Both bassinets can be used until approximately 6 months, depending mostly on the height of the baby.
- CRUZ V2: 25"H x 17"W x 31"L
- TRIV Next: Coming soon
Bassinet Height and Weight Limit
- CRUZ V2: 20 pounds or until baby can push up on hands and knees (whichever comes first)
- TRIV Next: Coming soon
UPPAbaby CRUZ V2 vs. Nuna TRIV Next Stroller Fold
Thanks to their compact frames, both the TRIV Next and CRUZ V2 fold to sizes small enough to fit in the trunk of most vehicles or store out-of-site in a coat closet or entry way. Both strollers are easy to fold and stand upright once folded.
While the Nuna TRIV Next can be folded with the toddler seat facing either direction, the UPPAbaby CRUZ V2 can only fold with the toddler seat facing forward. Additionally, the TRIV Next can be folded with just one hand, whereas two hands are required to fold the CRUZ V2 frame.
How to fold the UPPAbaby CRUZ V2
To fold the UPPAbaby CRUZ V2, first lock the brake to stabilize the rear wheels and make sure the seat is facing forward (or has been removed from the frame if not). Lower the handlebar to its shortest setting, then lift up on the grey tabs at the right and lefthand sides of the handlebar and lower it toward your feet.
The CRUZ V2 automatically locks when folded and stands upright, resting on the two rear wheels and two small rubber bumpers in the middle of the handlebar.
Hinge the lock inwards and lift the handlebar up to open the stroller.
To fold while using the MESA Max (or any other compatible car seat), simply remove the car seat by pressing the gray button on the top of the MESA Max’s handlebar and lift up. Then fold the stroller using the same steps as above.
How to fold the Nuna TRIV Next
To fold the Nuna TRIV Next with the toddler seat attached, you'll need to fold the seat in half, then fold up the frame. First, lower the handlebar to the lowest position. Then raise the seat recline up to a 90-degree angle by using the lever on the back of the seat. Using that same lever, pull it up and push the button on top of it, and the seat will fold down over itself. Next, simply grab the strap on the back of the seat and pull up! The TRIV Next can stand when folded, but you may need to find its sweet spot on the wheels for that to happen.
It's easy to carry the TRIV Next once it's folded due to the leatherette padded carry strap.
To fold the TRIV Next after removing the Nuna PIPA urbn (or other Nuna PIPA model), you keep the included infant car seat adapter attached and simply lower the handlebar to the lowest position and then pull up on the strap located in the center of the adapter. That's it! The adapter folds in half!
To unfold, just grab a hold of the handlebars, lift it up, flip up the seat and you're ready to stroll!
UPPAbaby CRUZ V2 vs. Nuna TRIV Next Accessories
Accessories help you customize your stroller for the weather, your child's age and your own convenience, too. UPPAbaby offers more accessory options than Nuna, including a ride-along board for an older sibling, two types of parent bags and two weights for the footmuff.
UPPAbaby CRUZ V2 accessories include:
- Cup holder
- Snack tray
- Travel bag
- Carry-all bag
- Parent organizer
- Bassinet stand
- Bassinet mattress cover
- Seat liner
- Infant SnugSeat
- PiggyBack ride-along board
- CozyGanoosh footmuff
Nuna offers the following accessories for the TRIV Next:
- Cup holder
- Travel bag
- Bassinet (coming soon)
- Bassinet stand (coming soon - can also be used with stroller seat for high chair)
Benefits and Drawbacks
So which travel system is better: the UPPAbaby CRUZ V2 and MESA Max or the Nuna TRIV Next and PIPA urbn? Only you can decide which is best for your family, but here are the benefits and drawbacks we see.
UPPAbaby CRUZ V2 and MESA Max
- Stroller seat is bigger and may hold a bigger child more comfortably
- Compatible with infant car seats from several brands, including the UPPAbaby MESA Max and MESA V2, which do not require adapters
- Storage basket is one of the largest and holds 30 pounds
- Bigger back tires make pushing over rough terrain a little easier
- 3-year warranty is one year longer than Nuna warranty
- Can add a PiggyBack board on it for your older child to ride along as well
- More color options than TRIV Next
- MESA Max has a no-rethread harness eliminating the need to take apart the harness system as baby grows
- MESA Max has higher limits before outgrown
- Anti-rebound panel and load leg safety features on MESA Max
- Stroller is heavier by 7 pounds and does not fold as compactly
- While seat reclines flat, footrest does not, leaving child's legs elevated while napping
- Harness buckle is not magnetic like that of TRIV Next
- MESA Max is 9.9 pounds versus 7 pounds for the PIPA urbn
Nuna TRIV Next and PIPA urbn
- One-handed, two-step fold
- Folds easily with seat facing either direction
- Stroller weighs almost 7 pounds less
- Trolleys when folded for easy carrying
- All-season seat keeps baby cozy in the winter and easily converts to a mesh seat in the warmer months
- Removable, washable seat insert
- Includes magnetic harness buckle for faster entries and exits
- PIPA urbn only weighs 7 pounds
- PIPA urbn has built in rigid latch with a 2-second steel-reinforced pipaFIX rigid latch installation making set up swift, simple and above all – safe
- Sky Drape on the PIPA urbn - more ventilation and coverage
- GREENGUARD Gold Certified on all colors and fabrics
- Requires adapters (included with purchase) to attach car seat
- No adapters are made for other brands' car seats
- Fewer color options than CRUZ V2
- Fewer accessories are available, compared with CRUZ V2
- 2-year warranty is shorter than 3-year UPPAbaby warranty
- Lower weight and height limits on the PIPA urbn
If you're deciding between the UPPAbaby CRUZ V2 and MESA Max or the Nuna TRIV Next and PIPA urbn, the real question might be what is your lifestyle like? Do you travel a lot, use multiple cars or take ride shares often? Do you have an older child that may need to hitch a ride on the back of the stroller? Or maybe a need for a huge storage basket for shopping trips, sports filled weekends, or amusement parks?
The Nuna TRIV Next and PIPA urbn may be easier for those families that live an urban lifestyle, are on the go often, and want a lighter weight option. The PIPA urbn is great car seat for those parents that love to travel, take ride shares often, or have multiple care givers driving their precious cargo around! The UPPAbaby CRUZ V2 and MESA Max may be the better option for families that have rougher terrain, more stuff to haul around, or multiple children who may need a break while out and about!
Strolleria is dedicated to making the baby gear buying experience less overwhelming for parents.
If you have more questions about the UPPAbaby CRUZ V2 and MESA Max vs. Nuna TRIV Next and PIPA urbn debate, feel free to contact us at 480-442-9433, start a live chat, or email us at email@example.com.