Choosing a stroller can be an overwhelming decision! Most parents agree that they want a stroller that is easy - easy to fold, easy to push, easy to pop in and out of the car. So which ones do it all? Two stand out single strollers go head to head in this comparison: the Nuna TRIV Next and UPPAbaby CRUZ V2.
Redesigned in late 2022, the Nuna TRIV Next weighs less than 19 pounds, but has all the full-size features everyone wants—like a reversible seat, simple recline, adjustable footrest, as well as a one-handed fold!
Given an all-terrain upgrade in 2020, the UPPAbaby CRUZ V2 stroller is versatile, lighter weight, and packed with helpful features such as a larger storage basket, and higher seat back.
Both the TRIV Next and CRUZ V2 offer similar design features—like a reversible seat, bassinet and car seat capabilities, durable tires, and lots of storage space, but differ in size, fold, and materials used.
Nuna TRIV Next Stroller
The Nuna TRIV Next came out in late 2022 as an upgrade to the popular Nuna TRIV. The TRIV Next is in a unique class of its own - it's both a great lighter weight travel option but also a full-size feature stroller! It's a perfect solution for parents who want one stroller that does it all, instead of having both a travel stroller and a full size stroller.
Updates to the seat include an updated magnetic harness buckle and zip-off sun canopy. A modernized stroller frame has larger, foam-filled rubber tires with a wider wheel base and built-in foot rest for tall toddlers. Parents will enjoy updated comfort features like an ergonomic rounded handlebar and a sandal-friendly one-touch brake mechanism.
Learn more about the TRIV Next here:
UPPAbaby CRUZ V2 Stroller
Recently updated in 2020, the UPPAbaby CRUZ V2 is UPPAbaby's full-featured single stroller geared towards parents who want it all, but in a more compact size than the convertible UPPAbaby VISTA V2 stroller.
Learn more about the UPPAbaby CRUZ V2 from when it was first launched in this video:
Nuna TRIV Next vs. UPPAbaby CRUZ V2 Price
The Nuna TRIV Next comes with the chassis, toddler seat, and foldable ring car seat adapter, that attaches any of the 7 Nuna Pipa infant car seat models to the stroller to create an easy travel system. The UPPAbaby CRUZ V2 includes the chassis, toddler seat, bug shield, and rain shield. It does not need a car seat adapter to use with the UPPAbaby Mesa line of infant car seats.
Nuna TRIV Next vs. UPPAbaby CRUZ V2 Weight and Specifications
Though both strollers are considered lightweight for full size strollers, the Nuna TRIV Next weighs about 7 pounds less than the UPPAbaby CRUZ V2. It's a great option for those parents who want a full size stroller with great wheels in a lighter package.
Although there is a bigger difference in overall weight, both strollers are very similar in terms of dimensions. The TRIV Next does fold slightly more compact though.
As far as the seat size, the CRUZ V2 seat is going to be a bit larger. It's a great option for bigger/taller children! They will have an additional 2" in seat to canopy height, and the canopy can easily be moved up as your child grows!
- Nuna TRIV Next: 18.5 pounds (excluding seat insert, bumper bar and canopy)
- UPPAbaby CRUZ V2: 25.5 pounds
Seat Back Height
Seat to Canopy Height
- Nuna TRIV Next: 10" - not including leg rest - 16" with leg rest
- UPPAbaby CRUZ V2: 9.5" - not including leg rest - 18.5" with leg rest
Nuna TRIV Next vs. UPPAbaby CRUZ V2 Features
Both strollers are built to function as simple, comfortable single strollers packed with features that make everyday outings a little nicer. Shared features include accessible storage baskets, telescoping handlebars for parents of different heights, and reversible toddler seats that are removable to attach an infant car seat or bassinet for those first months.
Stroller Seat Features
Since the toddler seat is what your child will be sitting in the most while you're using your stroller (for a few years!), it is important to pick a stroller with a seat that is adjustable as your child grows and supports them well at every stage of development.
Seat features shared by TRIV Next and CRUZ V2:
- Reversible to face forward or face parent
- Multiple recline positions adjustable with one hand
- Adjustable calf support angles and integrated footrest
- Included, swing-out bumper bar
- No-rethread harness
- Canopy with UPF 50+ that has a zip out canopy extension
- Ventilated canopy panels
Seat features unique to the TRIV Next:
- Spring suspension technology under the seat for smooth rides
- Magnetic harness buckle
- Zip off canopy
- All-season seat keeps baby cozy in winter and easily converts to mesh in summer
- Removable insert that's lightweight and lightly textured with Merino wool and TENCEL lyocell
- Easy access zippered storage pocket on back of seat
- Luxe leatherette bumper bar
Seat features unique to the CRUZ V2:
- Adjustable-height canopy
- Longer calf support
- Real leather bumper bar
Stroller Frame Features
Nuna and UPPAbaby have built their strollers with the highest quality materials and engineering. When looking at a strollers, you definitely need to check out the stroller frame itself, as this is the foundation for all the rides ahead. The best ones are both sturdy and lightweight, and have suspension to make pushing a breeze and to lessen the bumps that your child will feel.
Frame features shared by TRIV Next and CRUZ V2:
- Lightweight aluminum frame
- One-handed telescoping handlebar to multiple height settings
- Four-wheel suspension
- Stands upright when folded
- Easy to access storage basket
Frame features unique to the TRIV Next:
- One-touch foot brake for easy stop and go
- Vegan leather handlebar
- Quick one-handed fold keeps your other hand free
- Folds no matter which way the seat is facing
- Ring adapter folds with the stroller - no need to remove with the car seat
Frame features unique to the CRUZ V2:
- Oversized storage basket holds up to 30 pounds
- Organizing pockets built into basket for drinks, weather covers, and more
- Flexible bar at back of storage basket makes space for larger items
- Separate, color-coded foot brakes for locking (red) and unlocking (green)
- Genuine perforated leather handlebar
Nuna TRIV Next vs. UPPAbaby CRUZ V2 Bassinets
Packaged and sold separately, both the Nuna TRIV Next Bassinet and the UPPAbaby Bassinet (which fits the VISTA, CRUZ, RIDGE, and MINU strollers) are overnight sleep approved. Ideal for parents who travel often or live in walkable cities, these bassinets add a lay flat space that gives a newborn proper positioning for their developing head and neck.
The Nuna TRIV Next bassinet is currently in the process of being redesigned and will be coming back to market soon with an estimated ship date of Spring 2023. The bassinet will come with the bassinet stand for use in your bedroom or home!
UPPAbaby makes a wooden x-frame bassinet stand that can be purchased separately, and comes with a choice of three neutral colors to coordinate with your home. The stand is foldable for storage, though it is not compact enough to transport easily with the bassinet, and it features a flat shelf at the bottom for storing nursery necessities. Plus, when the bassinet is no longer needed, the stand can convert to a hamper with the addition of two fabric hamper inserts that help extend the lifespan of this item.
How to fold the Nuna TRIV Next vs. UPPAbaby CRUZ V2
Thanks to their compact frames, both the TRIV Next and CRUZ V2 fold to sizes small enough to fit in the trunk of most vehicles or store out-of-site in a coat closet or entry way. Both strollers are easy to fold and stand upright once folded.
While the Nuna TRIV Next can be folded with the toddler seat facing either direction, the UPPAbaby CRUZ V2 can only fold with the toddler seat facing forward. Additionally, the TRIV Next can be folded with just one hand, whereas two hands are required to fold the CRUZ V2 frame.
How to fold the Nuna TRIV Next
To fold the Nuna TRIV Next with the toddler seat attached, you'll need to fold the seat in half, then fold up the frame. First, lower the handlebar to the lowest position. Then raise the seat recline up to a 90-degree angle by using the lever on the back of the seat. Using that same lever, pull it up and push the button on top of it, and the seat will fold down over itself. Next, simply grab the strap on the back of the seat and pull up! The TRIV Next can stand when folded, but you may need to find its sweet spot on the wheels for that to happen.
It's easy to carry the TRIV Next once it's folded due to the leatherette padded carry strap.
To fold the TRIV Next with the included infant car seat adapter attached, you simply lower the handlebar to the lowest position and then pull up on the strap located in the center of the adapter. That's it! The adapter folds in half!
To unfold, just grab a hold of the handlebars, lift it up, flip up the seat and you're ready to stroll!
How to fold the UPPAbaby CRUZ V2
To fold the UPPAbaby CRUZ V2, first lock the brake to stabilize the rear wheels and make sure the seat is facing forward (or has been removed from the frame if not). Lower the handlebar to its shortest setting, then lift up on the grey tabs at the right and lefthand sides of the handlebar and lower it toward your feet.
The CRUZ V2 automatically locks when folded and stands upright, resting on the two rear wheels and two small rubber bumpers in the middle of the handlebar.
Hinge the lock inwards and lift the handlebar up to open the stroller.
Nuna TRIV Next vs. UPPAbaby CRUZ V2 Fabrics and Materials
The TRIV seat insert is made with a merino wool and Tencel blend, natural fabrics that are sustainable and help to keep your child stay warmer in the winter and cooler in the summer. Merino wool also has bonus properties, like being soft, hypoallergenic and environmentally-friendly. The TRIV Next has soft fabrics and offers plenty of ventilation to keep kids comfortable in warm weather. The stroller has a luxe leatherette handlebar and bumper bar.
Three fashions are available for the Nuna TRIV Next:
- Hazelwood (light tan)
- Caviar (black)
- Ocean (dark blue)
UPPAbaby uses durable, soft, and easy-to-clean polyester blend fabrics for the CRUZ V2 stroller seat, canopy, and basket, plus genuine, full-grain leather handlebars and bumper bars with an elegant perforated pattern.
There are two frame colors, a silver aluminum with grey touch points, and carbon matte black with black touch points, both scratch-resistant and easy to care for, plus three leather colors (black, chestnut brown, and saddle brown) depending on which fashion you select.
With selections updated each year, UPPAbaby currently offers eight fashions for the UPPAbaby CRUZ V2:
- Anthony White and Grey Chenille
- Stella Brushed Grey Melange
- Greyson Grey Melange
- Noa Navy Blue
- Gwen Green Melange
- Alice Dusty Pink
- Gregory Blue Melange
- Jake Charcoal Black
Nuna TRIV Next vs. UPPAbaby CRUZ V2 Car Seat Compatibility
Both the TRIV Next and CRUZ V2 frames can accommodate an infant car seat to create your own travel system.
Nuna offers 7 different models that are compatible with the TRIV Next with the included adapter. The Nuna PIPA urbn is sold with the TRIV Next as a travel system, while the other 6 models are sold separately. An adapter always has to be used with the TRIV Next to connect their infant car seats. UPPAbaby offers two infant car seat models that are compatible with the CRUZ V2 without purchase of adapters.
The UPPAbaby MESA V2 and MESA Max infant car seats both fit the UPPAbaby CRUZ V2 without adapters. Learn more about these two car seats in this comparison video:
In addition to the MESA V2 and MESA Max, there are several other popular car seat models from other brands that fit the CRUZ V2 with purchase of adapters.
- Chicco KeyFit 35, KeyFit 30, KeyFit 30 Zip, KeyFit 30 Zip Air, Fit2, Fit2 LE, Fit2 Air
- Clek Liing and Liingo
- Cybex Aton, Aton 2, Aton Q, and Cloud Q
- Maxi-Cosi Mico 30, Mico Max, and Coral XP
- Nuna PIPA, PIPA RX, PIPA Lite, PIPA Lite R, PIPA Lite LX, PIPA Lite RX, and PIPA Urbn
- Peg Perego Primo Viaggio 4-35, 4-35 Nido, and 4-35 Lounge
- UPPAbaby MESA, MESA V2, MESA Max
With the included car seat adapter, turn your Nuna TRIV Next stroller frame into a travel system with purchase of one of the 7 Nuna PIPA infant car seats listed below. No other brand car seat will work with the TRIV Next.
- Nuna PIPA
- Nuna PIPA RX
- Nuna PIPA Lite
- Nuna PIPA Lite R
- Nuna PIPA Lite LX
- Nuna PIPA Lite RX
- Nuna PIPA Urbn (cannot be purchased separately; sold as a travel system with the Nuna TRIV Next)
Nuna TRIV Next vs. UPPAbaby CRUZ V2 Pros and Cons
Nuna TRIV Next
If you're looking for a stroller that's super easy to use and fold, a breeze to push, and lightweight, yet also full of features, the Nuna TRIV Next may be your answer!
- One-handed fold with the stroller seat rear or forward facing
- One-handed fold with the included car seat adapter attached (the adapter folds in half!)
- Smaller fold since the seat folds in half
- All-season seat keeps baby cozy in the winter and easily converts to a mesh seat in the warmer months
- Removable, washable seat insert
- Lighter weight at under 19 pounds
- Not as many accessories offered, such as no snack tray or ride along board
- Smaller selection of colors
- Compatible with only Nuna car seats
The CRUZ V2 is UPPAbaby's best-selling full-featured single stroller, ideal for parents that value convenience and quality without breaking the bank.
- Higher storage basket capacity of 30 pounds
- Compatible with additional car seat brands including UPPAbaby, Chicco, Nuna, Clek, Maxi-Cosi, and Peg Perego
- Longer calf support
- More accessories available for purchase including: snack tray, parent cupholder, PiggyBack board, cozy ganoosh, and more
- Only folds with seat facing forward
- Two-handed fold
- Larger when folded
- Harder to remove seat fabric to wash versus the seat insert on the TRIV Next
- Nearly 7 pounds heavier
Strolleria is an authorized retailer of UPPAbaby and Nuna products, dedicated to making the baby gear buying experience less overwhelming for parents. If you have more questions about the Nuna TRIV Next vs. UPPAbaby CRUZ V2 debate, feel free to contact us at 480-442-9433, starting a live chat on our website, or emailing us at firstname.lastname@example.org.