In 2021, Nuna introduced the PIPA Lite RX, their top-of-the-line model that combines the best aspects of all seats: "Lite" weight, the RELX base, and a seatbelt-only installation option. The PIPA Lite RX also added exclusive new features like magnetic harness buckle holders and a no-rethread harness for easier height adjustments.
New for 2023, Nuna is introducing the PIPA urbn. The PIPA urbn is the only baseless infant car seat with pipaFIX rigid latch built in, that can install in 2 seconds, all while weighing in at an ultralight 7 pounds.
Both car seats are now available at Strolleria, with the PIPA Lite RX in stock now, and the PIPA urbn available for pre-order, and expected to ship in January 2023. The PIPA urbn will only be available as a travel system with the Nuna TRVL, TRIV Next, or MIXX Next, and will not be sold separately.
We'll review the features and differences between the PIPA Lite RX and PIPA urbn in this article.
Nuna PIPA Lite RX Video
Watch this video reviewing the PIPA Lite RX, which combines popular elements from the other five PIPA models:
Nuna PIPA urbn Video
Nuna's newest infant car seat features pipaFIX rigid latch, a groundbreaking baseless installation which is integrated into the car seat, allowing for super secure installs in seconds:
Nuna PIPA Lite RX vs PIPA urbn Price:
The PIPA urbn will only be available as a travel system with the Nuna TRVL, TRIV Next, or MIXX Next and will not be sold separately.
The PIPA Lite RX comes with the updated RELX base, which offers several features that help parents troubleshoot common installation problems while adding comfort for the baby, too.
PIPA Lite RX Car Seat and RELX Base Price
- PIPA Lite RX infant car seat and base: $550.00
- Additional RELX base: $199.95
PIPA urbn Travel System Prices:
- Nuna TRVL + PIPA urbn: $900
- Nuna TRIV Next + PIPA urbn: $1100
- Nuna MIXX Next + PIPA urbn: $1200
Nuna PIPA Lite RX vs. Nuna PIPA urbn Weight and Specifications
Both the PIPA Lite RX and PIPA urbn are ultra lightweight, at just 7 pounds!*
While the carriers themselves are the same size and weight, the PIPA Lite RX does come with the RELX base, making it heavier overall. If you travel often or change vehicles frequently, you might prefer the PIPA urbn for its baseless, 2 second install.
- PIPA Lite RX: 4-35 pounds, or until baby reaches 32 inches tall
- PIPA urbn: 4-22 pounds, or until baby reaches 29 inches tall
Car Seat Weight
- Both models are 7 pounds* (without infant insert or canopy)
- PIPA RELX base: 18.6 pounds
- PIPA urbn: does not require a base
Nuna PIPA Lite RX and PIPA urbn Safety and Installation Features
All car seats in the Nuna PIPA series are among the safest infant car seats you could choose for your child.
Most of the Nuna PIPA series car seats have been rated "best" in crash protection by Consumer Reports, which does independent crash testing to rank car seats on a "good, better, best" scale.
The PIPA Lite RX uses a steel-reinforced base that includes a load leg—a steel anchor that extends from the base of the car seat to the floor of your vehicle for additional stability. Consumer Reports found that a load leg reduces the risk of head injury by 46 percent.
Additionally, the Nuna bases include rigid (steel) LATCH connectors, which Nuna says is 50 percent stronger than the plastic LATCH connectors seen on most infant car seats. The PIPA urbn also uses a similar steel latch connection for its installation.
Both the PIPA Lite RX and PIPA urbn models use a new type of proprietary, lightweight foam called Aeroflex, a flexible EPP foam that compresses to absorb and diffuse energy away from the baby, with side impact protection for ultimate baby safe keeping.
How to Install
Both the PIPA Lite RX and PIPA urbn models can be installed in a matter of seconds, with helpful indicators to signal a safe installation.
The PIPA Lite RX can be installed using either the RELX base, or using the European-style seatbelt path installation method.
The PIPA urbn is installed using the steel-reinforced pipaFIX™ rigid latches that are built into the car seat. There is no base required for the urbn, and it is not compatible with PIPA™ series base or RELX™ base.
Nuna PIPA Lite RX vs PIPA urbn Canopy
Both models have a full coverage UPF 50+ canopy and feature the Sky Drape, the magnetized, ventilated fabric that quietly attaches to the end of the seat for extra sun protection and privacy, as well as a ventilated peek-a-boo window.
PIPA Lite RX vs PIPA urbn Headrest and Harness
The infant inserts on the PIPA Lite RX and PIPA urbn can be used until your baby reaches 11 pounds.
Harness and Headrest
- PIPA Lite RX: No-rethread harness and headrest that extends up to 4 inches
- PIPA urbn: Standard harness system that is hand-adjusted
PIPA Lite RX vs. PIPA urbn Colors and Fabrics
All colors of the PIPA Lite RX and PIPA urbn are free of flame-retardant chemicals in both the fabrics and foam. All fashions have achieved the Greenguard Gold certification for chemical emissions standards.
The PIPA Lite RX comes with machine washable infant head and body inserts made with environmentally-friendly merino wool for softness, temperature regulation, and moisture control. It also comes with a spare GOTS-certified organic cotton fabric body infant insert.
The PIPA urbn comes with head support and body inserts that feature environmentally friendly Merino wool and TENCEL™ *** branded lyocell fiber blend that is soft, naturally controls moisture, and is environmentally friendly.
The PIPA Lite RX offers seven colors:
The PIPA urbn comes in four colors, within three travel systems:
- Mixx Next + PIPA urbn in Caviar
- Triv Next + PIPA urbn in Caviar or Ocean
- TRVL + PIPA urbn in Caviar, Hazelwood, or Lagoon
Strollers Compatible with PIPA Lite RX and PIPA urbn
Nuna infant car seats are compatible with all Nuna strollers, as well as strollers from numerous other brands. You won't need to purchase car seat adapters to use a Nuna PIPA car seat with Nuna strollers. Adapters are included with your purchase of the Nuna MIXX Next, Nuna TRIV, Nuna Demi Grow or Nuna PEPP Next strollers, and no adapters are required for the Nuna TAVO, TAVO Next, or TRVL stroller.
The PIPA Lite RX is compatible with the brands listed below with the use of an adapter.
Strollers compatible with the PIPA Lite RX:
- Nuna Demi Grow, MIXX Next, MIXX, TRIV, TRIV Next, TRVL, TAVO, TAVO Next, PEPP and PEPP Next (with included adapters)
- Agio Z4 / Peg-Perego YPSI (with adapter)
- Austlen Entourage (with front adapter or rear adapter)
- Baby Jogger City Sights (with adapter)
- Babyzen YOYO+ and YOYO2 (with adapter)
- BOB Alterrain, Alterrain Pro, single strollers 2016 and newer (with adapter)
- Bugaboo Donkey, Donkey2, Donkey3, Donkey5 (with mono or twin adapter)
- Bugaboo Fox, Fox2, Fox3 and Lynx (with adapter)
- Bugaboo Cameleon3 models 2015 and newer (with adapter)
- Bugaboo Bee3, Bee5 and Bee6 (with adapter)
- Bugaboo Butterfly (with adapter)
- Bumbleride Era (with adapter)
- Bumbleride Indie and Speed (with adapter)
- Bumbleride Indie Twin (with adapter) - not suggested for use with PIPA or PIPA RX models
- Cybex Gazelle S (with included adapters)
- Guzzie&Gus Oxygen (without adapters)
- Joolz Aer (with adapter)
- Joolz Geo2 (with upper or lower adapter)
- Joolz Day3, Day+ (with adapter)
- Joolz Hub, Hub+ (with adapter)
- Mima Xari (with adapter)
- Mima Zigi (with adapter)
- Silver Cross Coast (with upper adapter or lower adapter)
- Silver Cross Jet (with adapter)
- Silver Cross Wave (with upper adapter or lower adapter)
- Silver Cross Comet (with adapter)
- Silver Cross Dune / Reef (with adapter)
- Quinny Moodd (with included adapter)
- Thule Urban Glide 1 or 2 Single and Double (with adapter)
- Thule Sleek (with adapter)
- Thule Spring (with adapter)
- Thule Shine (with adapter)
- UPPAbaby VISTA, VISTA V2, CRUZ, and CRUZ V2 (with ring adapter or post adapters)
- UPPAbaby MINU and MINU V2 (with adapter)
- Veer Cruiser All-Terrain Wagon (with adapter)
- Veer &Roll / &Jog (with adapter)
The PIPA urbn is compatible with all Nuna strollers, but is only being sold as a packaged travel system with the MIXX Next, TRIV Next, and TRVL. It is not being sold separately.
Strolleria is an authorized Nuna retailer dedicated to making the baby gear buying experience less overwhelming for parents. If you have more questions about Nuna Car Seats, feel free to contact us by starting a live chat, e-mailing firstname.lastname@example.org, or calling us at 480-442-9433.