Baby Jogger City Select vs. City Select LUX Comparison
With its ability to convert from a single stroller into a double, the Baby Jogger City Select was already one of the most popular strollers on the market. Then, Baby Jogger one-upped its best seller by introducing a new-and-improved version: the City Select LUX.
The City Select LUX builds on the features of the City Select by adding new colors and fabrics, all-wheel suspension, four new configurations, new accessories and more. Plus, the City Select LUX manages to fold 30 percent smaller than its predecessor.
The City Select LUX isn't replacing the City Select: Both strollers are available simultaneously. So is it worth upgrading to the LUX for an extra $100+?
Decide which stroller is right for you in our Baby Jogger City Select vs. City Select LUX stroller comparison.
This comparison references the City Select, which was refreshed in 2019, and the City Select LUX, which debuted in 2017. As of 2021, Baby Jogger has discontinued both versions of the stroller and replaced them with the City Select 2.
See this comparison for the differences between the new City Select 2 and the previous models, City Select and City Select LUX.
City Select vs. City Select Lux Price
With its upgraded features, the City Select Lux costs $100 more than the City Select. See below for a price comparison of each model as a single and double stroller.
- City Select: $499.99 - $519.99
- City Select LUX: $599.99
- City Select: $679.98 - $699.98
- City Select LUX: $799.98
City Select vs. City Select LUX Wheels and Suspension
With upgraded foam-filled wheels and all-wheel suspension, the City Select LUX has better maneuverability than the original City Select, which has only front-wheel suspension and plastic front wheels.
When strolling over uneven surfaces like brick roads, gravel paths and grass, the City Select LUX will perform better—especially when you're toting two kids.
City Select vs. City Select Lux Fold
Good looks aside, one major selling point for the City Select LUX is its ability to fold 30 percent smaller than the City Select. How? Folding on folding. Both seats on the City Select fold in half, unlike the original seats that can't be changed.
When folded, the length of the City Select is 45.5 inches. The folded LUX length is more than a foot shorter, at 31" inches.
Overall, both strollers are easy to fold: Simply pull up on two handles and the stroller instantly collapses.
City Select vs. City Select Lux Ease of Use
The City Select LUX features a few design upgrades intended to make the stroller easier to use. Instead of the manual lock found on the City Select, the City Select LUX auto-locks and has better access to the cross-bar for carrying.
The revised design of the LUX makes it easier to access the basket and recline the stroller seat. Plus, the LUX has integrated storage compartments on the back of the seat instead of the City Select's single storage back-of-seat storage pocket.
Both strollers include a handbrake, but the City Select LUX includes two brakes in one. Activate the brake completely for parking, or touch it more lightly to decelerate when going down on a hill, just as you would on a bike.
City Select vs. City Select Lux Configurations
The City Select offers 16 seating configurations, making it one of the most versatile strollers around. But thanks to its exclusive bench seat accessory, the City Select LUX adds four more configurations.
With the bench seat, which accommodates kids up to 65 pounds, the City Select LUX features 20 configurations:
- One infant car seat
- One bassinet
- Toddler seat facing parent
- Toddler seat facing forward
- Toddler seat and second seat facing forward
- Toddler seat and second seat facing parent
- Toddler seat and second seat facing each other
- Infant car seat and second seat facing parent
- Infant car seat facing parent, second seat facing forward
- Infant car seat and toddler seat facing parent
- Infant car seat facing parent, toddler seat facing forward
- Infant car seat and toddler seat facing each other
- Bassinet and second seat facing parent
- Toddler seat and bassinet facing parent
- Two infant car seats
- Two bassinets
- Bench seat and second seat facing forward
- Bench seat and second seat facing parent
- Bench seat and infant car seat
- Bench seat and bassinet
City Select vs. City Select LUX Colors and Fabrics
Softer, higher-quality fabrics give the City Select LUX a more modern, sophisticated look and feel. The City Select LUX comes in these three colors:
For 2019, Baby Jogger upgraded the fabric on the City Select so that it's more in line with the softer, more premium fabrics of the LUX.
The City Select comes in these six colors:
City Select vs. City Select LUX Accessories
These accessories are available only for the City Select LUX:
- A shopping tote, providing 10 pounds of extra storage capacity, can be added to the stroller in one of three places: the front or rear mounts (in place of a seat) or onto the back of the stroller.
- The bench seat for the City Select LUX holds 65 pounds, allowing the stroller to accommodate kids who have outgrown the second seat's 45-pound weight capacity. Now, older siblings can ride along by sitting on the bench seat, which includes a three-point harness and a footrest. The bench seat does not fit the City Select.
- A cup holder, which expands via elastic to hold a Venti-sized Starbucks cup, attaches to the side of the stroller instead of the handlebar.
Most of the original City Select accessories will also work on the City Select LUX, with a few exceptions.
These accessories are interchangeable between the City Select and City Select LUX:
- Shopping tote
- Weather shield
- Bug canopy
- Glider board
- Most car seat adapters (see next section)
- Parent console
- Cooler bag
- Carry bag
- Deluxe Pram
- Bassinet kit
- Second seat kit
These City Select accessories will not fit the LUX. The City Premier accessories can be used for the LUX instead:
- Child tray
- Belly bar
These City Select LUX accessories will not fit the City Select:
- Bench seat
- LUX cupholder
- LUX second seat adapters
Car seats compatible with City Select and City Select LUX
These car seats from top brands are compatible with the City Select and City Select Lux. The same car seat adapters are used for either model.
- Baby Jogger City GO, City GO 2 (with adapter)
- Britax B-Safe, B-Safe 35, B-Safe 35 Elite and BOB B-Safe (with adapter)
- Chicco KeyFit30 (with adapter)
- Clek Liing (with adapter)
- Cybex Aton series and Cloud Q (with adapter)
- Graco SnugRide Click Connect 30, 35, 35 LX and 40 (with adapter)
- Maxi-Cosi Mico Max 30, Mico Max Plus, Mico AP, Pebble, Cabrio Fix and Pebble Plus (with adapter)
- Nuna PIPA, PIPA RX, PIPA Lite, PIPA Lite R, and PIPA Lite LX (with adapter)
- Peg-Perego Primo Viaggio 4-35 and Primo Viaggio 4-35 Nido (with adapter)
- Agio Primo Viaggio 4-35 Nido (with adapter)
Both the City Select and City Select LUX are great convertible strollers that will grow with your family from one kid to two (and even three, if you attach a glider board). While the essential functionality of the stroller hasn't changed, the City Select LUX comes with several upgrades—like better fabrics, suspension, accessories and brakes—that may justify the $100 price difference for some parents.
Strolleria is a family-owned and operated retailer dedicated to making the baby gear buying experience less overwhelming for parents. If you have more questions about the Baby Jogger City Select vs. City Select LUX debate, feel free to contact us at 480-442-9433 or email@example.com.
Shop the City Select and City Select LUX below!