Convertible single-to-double strollers have become a valuable asset for families with multiple children or parents anticipating the rapid growth of their family. These models initially function as singles but can effortlessly convert to double or twin strollers providing a versatile and cost-effective parenting solution. The ingenuity of these designs enables parents to maximize the utility of a significant parenting investment, providing one stroller that evolves with the family over the years. The traditional convertible stroller configuration is in-line, with one seat positioned in front of the other. While popular, these in-line designs pose maneuverability challenges and can feel cumbersome during turns. Additionally, the front positioning of one child in an in-line configuration may limit the pusher's reach and visibility. This article explores two non-conventional single-to-double convertible stroller options, the Bugaboo Donkey5 and Nuna Demi Next. Both models are appreciated as single strollers and also stand out for their unique conversion configurations. The Donkey5 expands to a double side-by-side stroller, whereas the Demi Next adopts a narrower stacked configuration. Continue reading to determine which stroller is best suited for use as a single, double, and overall, the most worthwhile investment.
What similarities do the Bugaboo Donkey5 and Nuna Demi Next share?
Bugaboo and Nuna have established a reputation for delivering high-quality and high-performing strollers, and the Donkey5 and Demi Next are no exceptions. Both strollers stand out as best-in-class options among the myriad of convertible stroller choices, offering a plethora of premium features. Here is a list of their shared features:
- Telescoping, height adjustable handlebar
- Reversible, multi-position recline seat
- Elevated seat position
- Extendable UPF50+ protection canopy with mesh ventilation
- Large-foam filled tires with advanced suspension
- Rotating belly bar
- Infant car seat compatible
- One-step, one piece standing fold
What stroller is a better single stroller? Bugaboo Donkey5 vs. Nuna Demi Next:
The Bugaboo Donkey5 and Nuna Demi Next both demonstrate outstanding performance as single strollers, excelling in scenarios such as long walks around the neighborhood and serving as reliable workhorses for city families in need of a primary mode of transportation. Despite their shared strengths, a few differences distinguish these strollers in their single configurations:
- The Donkey5 comes equipped with a sleep-rated bassinet, providing the ideal environment for newborns and enabling use from birth. In contrast, the Demi Next doesn't include a bassinet in the box, but Nuna offers a sleep-rated bassinet with stand sold separately. Despite the absence of an included bassinet, the Demi Next compensates by providing a ride-on board, adding significant value for parents with older children who may want to hitch a ride.
- The Donkey5 stands out with its impressive storage capacity, accommodating a total weight of 44lbs. Its under-carriage basket has a capacity of up to 22lbs. Additionally, a favorite among parents is the side luggage basket, conveniently positioned beside the stroller seat or bassinet, offering extra easily accessible storage with a weight capacity of 22lbs. On the other hand, the Demi Next also provides a generous under-carriage storage basket with a 22lb weight capacity.
- The Demi Next offers a potentially more comfortable ride during the summer months or for families living in warmer climates year-round. Its stroller seat is equipped with a padded seat liner for added cushioned comfort, secured in place with Velcro. When removed, a mesh back seat is revealed, facilitating maximum airflow. It also features an integrated mosquito net stored within the canopy.
- For beachgoers or families needing to navigate through snow, the Donkey5 may be the better option. It comes equipped with a two-wheel sand and snow function, enabling the stroller to trolley on two wheels and be pulled through sand, snow, and over the roughest terrain. This feature enhances the stroller's versatility, making it suitable for various outdoor conditions.
- The Donkey5 has an overall smaller footprint (as a single)
What stroller is a better double stroller? Bugaboo Donkey5 vs. Nuna Demi Next
The Bugaboo Donkey5 and Nuna Demi Next both stand out for their exceptionally easy single to double conversion processes. They feature integrated connection points for their second seats, eliminating the need for additional adapters— a streamlined process that appeals to parents. Moreover, the second seat for both models are replicas of the main seats in terms of dimensions and weight limit. The key distinction between the Donkey5 Duo and Demi Next Double strollers lies in their respective configurations.
- The Donkey5 expands horizontally to form a side-by-side double stroller configuration. While this design offers the advantage of seating children next to each other, providing a more interactive experience, it does result in a wider stroller. This increased width might be a consideration for parents navigating narrow sidewalks or shopping in smaller stores, where the broader footprint could be perceived as overwhelming.
- The Demi Next transforms into a double configuration by seamlessly attaching the Demi Next Sibling Seat to the integrated adapters located beneath the main seat. This creates a stacked configuration, and a notable advantage is that the overall footprint of the stroller remains the same. This design choice enhances maneuverability and makes it more convenient for navigating through various spaces without a significant increase in size.
- The stacked configuration of the Demi Next situates the Sibling Seat within the storage basket. While older siblings may enjoy this riding position, a notable drawback is that the addition of this seat reduces the overall storage space available on the stroller.
- In the Donkey5, the second seat is connected to the same integrated adapters that hold its side-luggage basket. Consequently, when the Donkey5 is converted to its Duo mode, the side-luggage basket becomes unusable. However, in contrast to the Demi Next, parents can still fully utilize the under-carriage basket even in the double configuration. This distinction provides a practical advantage in terms of retaining storage space when using the Donkey5 as a double stroller.
- The Donkey5 can be folded with both seats attached, however it is easier to lift and fit into a trunk when the seats are removed before folding.
- The Demi Next Sibling Seat must be removed when folding.
- While the Demi Next includes a ride-on board, it's important to note that it utilizes the same integrated adapters as the Sibling Seat. As a result, both the ride-on board and the Sibling Seat cannot be used simultaneously, limiting the Demi Next to accommodating up to 2 children. On the other hand, the Donkey5 does not come with a ride-on board included, but Bugaboo offers one separately. It is attached directly to the back axle of the Donkey5 frame, providing the flexibility to carry up to 3 children. This can be a significant factor for parents with three children or those planning for future expansions to their family.
What infant car seats are compatible with the Bugaboo Donkey5 and Nuna Demi Next?
The Bugaboo Donkey5 and Nuna Demi Next can both be paired with an infant car seat for use as a travel system. Both strollers also have the ability to hold two infant car seats, making for great twin options too!
The Demi Next comes with two sets of car seat adapters, one ring adapter and one set of post adapters. These adapters accommodate seamless pairing with Nuna Pipa infant car seats. For a list of compatible car seats click >>>here.
Bugaboo offers a variety of car seat adapters (sold separately) to cater to the Donkeys achievable configurations and parents infant car seat preference. For Donkey5 infant car seat compatibility click>>>here.
What stroller has better features? Bugaboo Donkey5 vs. Nuna Demi Next:
Bugaboo Donkey5 Features:
- Easily converts to double stroller for two children with Duo extension sets
- Fits through most standard doorways and elevators in all three configurations
- New and improved self-standing one-piece fold makes storage easier than ever
- Large, puncture-proof wheels for smooth strolls on all terrains
- Can go into two-wheel mode for sand and snow
- Rotating carry handle / bumper bar
- Higher seat positioning brings child closer to parent
- Quick click harness with softened shoulder padding
- Leather-look handlebar and bumper bar
- Underseat basket holds 22 lbs; add 22 lbs with side basket in Mono mode
- Easy to maneuver with one hand, even when carrying two children and groceries
- Independently reversible and reclinable seat(s) for maximum flexibility
- Padded bassinet with breezy mesh panel and aerated mattress keeps your baby comfy
- Integrated attachment points for your favorite accessories
- Car seat compatibility with dedicated adapters (sold separately)
Nuna Demi Next features:
Toddler Seat + Frame
- Forward and rear-facing seat options
- One-touch rear-wheel braking system for scuff-free shoe control
- Custom dual suspension™ provides a nice, smooth ride
- Wide, swivel-lock front wheels make it a master of smooth riding motion
- One-hand adjustable calf support and footrest to accommodate growth
- Self-guiding MagneTech secure snap™ buckles automatically lock into place
- Quick-release 3 to 5-point harness makes it easy to fasten them in
- Fenders and built-in hub caps protect from dirt and debris
- Easily removable premium Merino wool insert provides ultra-soft comfort
- Eye-to-eye connection is easier with the elevated seat level
- Rotating and removable armbar fits kids of all sizes
- Water-repellent UPF 50+ Aire protect canopy™ protects from the elements
- Built-in privacy drape and ventilation panels in the canopy for ideal airflow
- All-season seat keeps baby cozy in winter and easily converts to mesh in summer
- Tires are tough, foam-filled, and ready for any terrain
- No-rethread harness makes it easy to adjust for comfort and growth
- Large basket with 22 lb capacity holds everything you need for the journey
- Adjustable pushbar with luxe leatherette accents to accommodate varying heights
- Included rain cover for when the weather doesn't cooperate
- Compatible with the Demi next sibling seat and Demi next bassinet
- Two swivel wheels for easy maneuvering
- Holds up to 50 lbs
- Flips into the stroller basket when not in use
- Folds with stroller
Dimensions and Specs: Bugaboo Donkey5 vs. Nuna Demi Next:
- Donkey5: From birth (with bassinet and infant car seat) to 50lbs
- Demi Next: From birth (with bassinet or infant car seat) to 50lbs
Storage Basket Weight Capacity:
- Donkey5: 2 years, extended another 2 years when registered within 3 months of purchase
- Demi Next: 2 years
What's in the box:
- Donkey5: Chassis, seat/bassinet frame, bassinet fabric, seat fabric, side luggage basket, rain cover.
- Demi Next: Stoller frame, seat, ring adapter, post adapters (1 set), ride-on-board, fenders, rain cover.
What brand offers better accessories Bugaboo or Nuna? Bugaboo Donkey5 vs. Nuna Demi Next
Both Bugaboo and Nuna provide a range of accessories to enhance the functionality of each stroller. Explore the accessory assortments for each brand below.
Bugaboo Donkey5 Accessories:
- Bugaboo Universal Bassinet Stand
- Bugaboo Comfort Wheeled Board+
- Cup holder
- Performance Winter Footmuff
- Seat liner
- Smartphone holder
- Changing bag
- Bugaboo Snack Tray
- Bugaboo Donkey Bassinet Stand Adapter
- Bugaboo Donkey Twin Maxi Cosi Adapter
- Bugaboo Donkey Mono Maxi Cosi Adapter
Demi Next Accessories:
- Cup Holder
- Child Tray
- Bassinet and Stand
- Sibling Seat
- Travel Bag (with travel insurance)
- Winter Stroller Seat
What stroller is better for my family? Bugaboo Donkey5 vs. Nuna Demi Next
By now, it's clear that both the Bugaboo Donkey5 and Nuna Demi Next are standout performers in the realm of baby gear, offering trusted companionship for parents over years of use. However, their differences should be carefully considered to determine the best fit for each family.
The Donkey5 distinguishes itself with its ample storage space in both its Mono and Duo configurations. The ability to add a ride-on-board, even when configured as a double, makes it the obvious choice for families with three children. Its 2-wheel trolley function allows it to excel while navigating through sand, snow, and rough terrain.
On the other hand, the Demi Next is well-suited for families frequently exposed to warmer temperatures. Its included accessories, such as the ride-on board and infant car seat adapters, provide considerable value straight out of the box. The Demi Next's stacked configuration may be more manageable for parents who find the prospect of a side-by-side double stroller intimidating.
Ultimately, the choice between the Donkey5 and Demi Next depends on specific family needs and preferences, whether that be generous storage, versatility in various terrains, or convenient features tailored for warmer climates.
Strolleria is dedicated to making the gear buying experience less overwhelming for parents.