Travel strollers are taking over in popularity for their perfect size not only for travel, but also for storing in your car for those quick, everyday errands! Parents are wanting similar features seen in full size strollers, but in a much smaller package. They want a smooth push, ample storage space, easy fold, and comfortable seat for children of all sizes - all in a smaller footprint. Two standout travel strollers that offer those must haves are the Bugaboo Butterfly and UPPAbaby MINU V2.
At 16.1 pounds and 16.9 pounds, respectfully, both strollers fold easily with one hand, offer a range of accessories, fit a child comfortably up to 50 pounds, and have great storage space for a compact stroller! They both fold small enough to fit in most overhead bins, however, the Butterfly is more compact when folded and is travel certified to be IATA compatible.
Here we’ll take a deep dive and discover the similarities, differences, pros and cons of the Bugaboo Butterfly and UPPAbaby MINU V2. Which one is the best fit for your family?
The Butterfly features the same quality and maneuverability that Bugaboo strollers are known for—just in a smaller package. The Butterfly weighs only 16.1 pounds and has a roomy 22” backrest height.
Compact enough to be carried on your shoulder or stored in most overhead bins, the Butterfly offers features like an adjustable leg rest, spring-loaded basket, no-rethread harness with quick-button release, high-quality toxic-free machine washable fabrics, and a large ventilated sun canopy.
The Butterfly is newborn-ready when you attach an infant car seat, and with the highest backrest of any travel stroller, it comfortably fits an older toddler up to 50 pounds. Bugaboo now also offers a Comfort Wheeled Board to fit an additional child (up to 44 pounds) on the back of the stroller!
UPPAbaby MINU V2
The UPPAbaby MINU V2 comes in at just 16.9 pounds, and offers high-quality features seen on full size strollers, like all-wheel suspension, compatibility with an infant car seat and bassinet, and accessories like snack tray, cup holder, and travel bag. The MINU V2 feels sturdy and is easy to push, fold, and carry!
It fits in some overhead bins (be sure to check with your preferred airline before travel), and if you need to gate check it, you can purchase the TravelSafe Travel Bag that comes with travel insurance in the case of damage. The MINU V2 offers features like a zip-out extendable canopy with peek-a-boo window, leather belly bar included, calf support, and an ample storage basket that can hold up to 20 pounds!
One of the most exciting features of the MINU V2 is that it works with the UPPAbaby bassinet (with the purchase of adapters), making it newborn ready without having to use a car seat! It is also compatible with a wide selection of car seats too, making for an easy on-the-go travel system. The MINU V2 has a very generous seat to canopy height of 28", and will comfortably hold a child up to 50 pounds. New to the market in January 2023 will be the PiggyBack board that can be attached to the back of the MINU V2 to hold an older child up to 55 pounds!
Bugaboo Butterfly vs. UPPAbaby MINU V2 Price
Neither stroller can be used from birth without the addition of car seat adapters and a compatible infant seat.
Infant car seats compatible with the Butterfly and MINU V2 range in price from $219 to $550, with purchase of adapters.
- Butterfly adapter price: $59.95
- MINU V2 adapter price: $24.99 for Mesa/bassinet adapter, $49.99 for the other brands adapter
The MINU V2 has one other unique option the Butterfly does not—it can also be used with UPPAbaby's bassinet (with adapters)!
- UPPAbaby Bassinet: $199.99
- UPPAbaby MINU V2 Bassinet Adapters: $24.99 (required to attach bassinet to MINU)
The Butterfly comes with a rain cover while the MINU V2 does not, but instead includes a bumper bar. The bumper bar is an additional $32.95 for the Butterfly.
Complete Stroller Price
- Bugaboo Butterfly: $429 (includes stroller frame with seat fabrics, rain cover, and leg rest)
- UPPAbaby MINU V2: $449.99 (includes stroller, bumper bar, and calf support)
Bugaboo Butterfly vs. UPPAbaby MINU V2 Weight and Dimensions
Overall, the Bugaboo Butterfly and UPPAbaby MINU V2 are very similar in size, however the Butterfly has an overall slimmer fold, and the seat is a bit larger. Both stand when folded and have convenient carry handles and shoulder straps for throwing over your shoulder.
The Butterfly has the highest backrest of any travel stroller, measuring 22” making it super comfortable for larger toddlers or older children. The MINU V2’s backrest is 4" shorter, at 18", however, the MINU V2 can accommodate taller children as well due to the seat-to-canopy height being higher. The Butterfly has a 25" seat to canopy height, while the MINU V2's is 28". Think of the MINU V2 more like a chair that doesn’t go up to your head. The Butterfly will allow the child the chance to put their head back for longer to feel supported.
UPPAbaby recommends waiting until your baby is at least 3 months old to begin using the MINU V2 stroller seat, while Bugaboo recommends waiting until 6 months to begin using the Butterfly stroller seat. They can both be used until your child reaches approximately 50 pounds.
The Butterfly offers a slightly larger seat depth of 11” versus the MINU V2 being 9". Both strollers have a type of leg rest. The Butterfly’s leg rest has five different positions, whereas the MINU V2 will have a stationary calf support. When fully extended, the foot rests extends the seat depth to 16” for the Butterfly and 14” for the MINU V2.
If you are wanting an option from birth, other than clicking a car seat onto the stroller frame, the MINU V2 does work with the UPPAbaby bassinet! You just need the adapters to attach it to the frame. This is a great option if you are purchasing a Vista V2 in addition to the MINU V2 - you can use the bassinet on both strollers! The MINU V2 even folds with the adapters attached. The Butterfly does not have a bassinet option, so if you are wanting to use from birth, your only option is to click a compatible car seat onto the car seat adapters.
- Butterfly: 6 months to 50 pounds (from birth with car seat)
- MINU V2: 3 months to 50 pounds (from birth with car seat or bassinet)
- Butterfly: 16.1 pounds
- MINU V2: 16.9 pounds
- Butterfly: 36.4"L x 17.7"W x 40.3"H
- MINU V2: 35.5"L x 20.25"W x 41"H
- Butterfly: 21" x 17.7" x 9"
- MINU V2: 12" x 20.25" x 23”
Basket Weight Capacity
- Butterfly: 17.6 pounds
- MINU V2: 20 pounds
Seat Back Height
- Butterfly: 22"
- MINU V2: 18"
Seat to Canopy Height
- Butterfly: 25"
- MINU V2: 28"
- Butterfly: 11” - with footrest fully extended it’s 16”
- MINU V2: 9" - with calf support it's 14"
Bugaboo Butterfly vs. UPPAbaby MINU V2 Features
The Bugaboo Butterfly and UPPAbaby MINU V2 are among the most popular travel strollers due to their easy fold, amazing push, full-size stroller-like features and accessories, as well as beautiful aesthetics. They pack a lot of punch in a small package!
Both strollers have zip-out extendable canopies that offer ample sun coverage. The Butterfly has a full-width ventilated panel, while the MINU V2 has a magnetized peek-a-boo window to watch baby while strolling. Both models also include high-quality fabrics, and the Butterfly's are free of chemicals. The Butterfly has a leatherette handlebar, while the MINU V2 has their signature hand-sewn real leather handlebars with perforation.
The Butterfly has these features not seen on the MINU V2:
- An integrated 5-position adjustable leg rest that can also double as a carry handle (the MINU V2’s calf support is stationary)
- A seat inlay that's padded for comfort, and removable for easy machine washing
- A flexible, spring-loaded basket that's easy to load and unload
- Toxic free and water repellent fabrics
The MINU V2 has these features not included on the Butterfly:
- A storage pocket on the seat back for storing items like your phone or keys
- Hand-sewn real leather handlebars with perforation
- Leather bumper bar included with purchase
Bugaboo Butterfly vs. UPPAbaby MINU V2 Configurations
If you're planning to use your stroller during baby's first months, the UPPAbaby MINU V2 offers more versatility in its configurations.
Both strollers can be paired with an infant car seat, but the MINU V2 offers a bassinet. The Bugaboo Butterfly does not have any bassinet options, and the actual seat is not recommended until baby is 6 months old.
Car Seats Compatible with Bugaboo Butterfly vs. UPPAbaby MINU V2
Both strollers can fold with the car seat adapters on, however, for the most compact fold you would want to remove them.
Car Seats Compatible with Bugaboo Butterfly
The car seat adapter for the Bugaboo Butterfly fits the below car seats:
- Bugaboo Turtle One and Turtle Air by Nuna
- Clek Liing
- Cybex Aton and Cloud series
- Maxi-Cosi Mico series
- Nuna PIPA series
Car Seats Compatible with UPPAbaby MINU V2
There are two car seat adapters available for the UPPAbaby MINU V2.
This car seat adapter allows for attachment of your MESA / MESA V2 / MESA MAX infant car seat or UPPAbaby Bassinet.
This car seat adapter for the UPPAbaby MINU V2 fits the following car seats:
- Clek Liing
- Cybex Aton series and Cybex Cloud Q
- Nuna PIPA, PIPA RX, PIPA Lite, PIPA Lite R, PIPA Lite LX, PIPA Lite RX
How to Fold the Bugaboo Butterfly vs. UPPAbaby MINU V2
How to Fold the Bugaboo Butterfly
To fold the Bugaboo Butterfly, press the two white buttons within the handlebar and lower the stroller until it's locked and standing. Press the same buttons to unlock the stroller and spring it back into place.
Hint: Once folded, the Butterfly does lock itself into place. To unlock with ease, press both buttons at once and slightly push the handlebar forward towards the stroller for it to spring back open.
How to Fold the UPPAbaby MINU V2
You only need one hand to fold the MINU V2. Using your thumb on one side of the handlebar button and fingers on the other, press in and down until the stroller collapses and auto-locks.
To unfold the MINU V2, simply undo the lock on the side of the stroller and pull up until it springs back into place.
Bugaboo Butterfly vs. UPPAbaby MINU V2 Accessories
Customize both strollers for your needs by adding accessories like a parent cup holder or ride along board for your toddler! The Bugaboo Butterfly's ride along board will offer a comfortable little seat for your older child and will hold up to 44 pounds. The UPPAbaby MINU V2's PiggyBack board will hold a child up to 55 pounds. To have this option on a lightweight travel stroller is a game changer for families with multiple children!
The Butterfly comes with a rain cover and integrated leg rest, and a bumper bar is available separately. It's also compatible with universal Bugaboo accessories.
The MINU V2 comes with a bumper bar and stationary calf support. There is also a travel bag, snack tray, and bassinet available for purchase, which are not accessories the Butterfly offers.
Bugaboo Butterfly Accessories
- Bumper bar
- Comfort Wheeled Board with Seat
- Cup holder
- Footmuff and performance winter footmuff
- Seat liner
- Smartphone holder
- Changing bag
UPPAbaby MINU V2 Accessories
- PiggyBack ride along board
- Snack Tray
- Cup Holder
- TravelSafe travel bag
- Rain Shield
- Basket Cover
- Changing Bag
Bugaboo Butterfly vs. UPPAbaby MINU V2 Colors and Fabrics
Both strollers offer high-quality fabrics with the Butterfly offering fabrics that are free from chemicals. The Butterfly has black leatherette handlebars, while the MINU V2 has either brown or black real leather handlebars with perforations. The MINU V2 offers more color options, while the Butterfly comes in three neutral colors.
The Butterfly comes in these colors:
- Midnight Black
- Forest Green
- Stormy Blue
The MINU V2 comes in these colors:
- Greyson Charcoal Melange
- Jake Charcoal Melange
- Stella Silver Melange
- Charlotte Blue Melange
- Emelia Green Melange
Bugaboo Butterfly vs. UPPAbaby MINU V2 Pros and Cons
So which stroller is better: the Bugaboo Butterfly or the UPPAbaby MINU V2? There really is no wrong answer - every family will have different wants and needs. Here's a quick recap of some of the pros and cons to the Butterfly and MINU V2.
- Costs $20 less than UPPAbaby MINU V2 (however, if you purchase the belly bar - included with the MINU V2 - it brings it up to $12 more than the MINU V2)
- 5-position leg rest that adds support as your child grows and can be used as a carry handle - MINU V2's leg rest is either up or down
- Basket is spring-loaded for easier accessibility
- Sun canopy has a full panel, breezy discovery window
- Taller backrest and deeper seat
- One handed fold and one handed unfold
- Weighs 0.8 pounds less than the MINU V2
- Slimmer fold than the MINU V2
- It is travel certified to be IATA compatible, meaning it should fit in overhead compartments of most airplanes
- Does not come with a belly bar
- Cannot be used with a bassinet
- Offers fewer color choices
UPPAbaby MINU V2
- Has a bassinet available for purchase
- Can use the regular seat from 3 months and up
- Includes a storage pocket on the back of the seat
- Includes a belly bar
- Has more color options
- Under storage basket has a higher weight capacity
- Has a TravelSafe travel bag available for purchase (protects the bag during air travel and covers any damage incurred during travel)
- Has a child snack tray available for purchase
- Higher overall seat to canopy height than the Butterfly
- Not as big of a seat (both in backrest height and depth)
- Bigger fold than the Butterfly
- Have to unlock the stroller before unfolding so adds an additional (albeit fast and easy) step
Strolleria is dedicated to making the baby gear buying experience less overwhelming for parents.
If you have more questions about the Bugaboo Butterfly vs. UPPAbaby MINU V2 debate, feel free to contact us at 480-442-9433, start a live chat on our website, or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.