Travel strollers are becoming increasingly popular, not just for obvious travel purposes but also for everyday use. A travel stroller is an essential piece of gear to have ready to go from the day baby arrives! In this article, we will compare two of our favorites, the Bugaboo Butterfly and Nuna TRVL. Both Bugaboo and Nuna offer premium baby gear and consistently lead the industry in innovation and design. Bugaboo is known for delivering strollers that are best-in-class in quality and performance. Nuna is known for their attention to detail and use of premium fabrics; culminating in products that are easy to use and comfortable for little riders.
Both the Bugaboo Butterfly and Nuna TRVL are options parents should consider purchasing to use from birth. Both of these strollers are infant car seat compatible, making them perfect to use as a “snap-and-go” travel system. While full size stroller are great for long walks and rough terrain, the Bugaboo Butterfly and Nuna TRVL are much more manageable for use in and out of the car. Both strollers offer compact folds and take up minimal trunk space; they are easily folded with one step and and one hand for seamless transitions from curb to car!
Bugaboo and Nuna both offer a range of accessories to expand on the functionality of each stroller. The Bugaboo Butterfly and Nuna TRVL fit a child comfortably up to 50 pounds, and have generous storage space for a compact stroller. To foot the bill of a “travel stroller,” both models make navigating airports and plane travel a breeze! They both fold small enough to fit in most overhead bins, however, the Bugaboo Butterfly is more compact when folded and is travel certified to be IATA compatible.
The Bugaboo Butterfly features the same quality and maneuverability that Bugaboo Strollers are known for—just in a smaller package. The Bugaboo Butterfly weighs only 16.1 pounds and has a roomy 22” backrest height.
The Bugaboo Butterfly is newborn-ready when you attach an infant car seat, and with the highest backrest of any travel stroller, it comfortably fits older/taller toddlers up to 50 pounds. Bugaboo also offers the Butterfly Comfort Wheeled Board+ to fit an additional child (up to 44 pounds) on the back of the stroller!
True to its name, Nuna's lightest and most compact stroller is specifically designed for life on the go. The Nuna TRVL weighs 15.5 pounds and is directly compatible with all Nuna PIPA infant car seats. No need for car seat adapters!
Bugaboo Butterfly Video Review
Nuna TRVL Video Review
What is so great about the Bugaboo Butterfly and Nuna TRVL?
Shared seat features include a no-rethread harness that's easy to adjust as your child grows, adjustable calf support for customized comfort, and recline that lowers with one hand.
The canopies on both strollers offer ample coverage, peekaboo windows, and UPF 50+ protection, plus ventilation panels for maximum airflow.
The Bugaboo Butterfly and Nuna TRVL are among the most popular travel strollers due to their easy fold, maneuverability, and full-size stroller-like features. They pack a lot of punch in a small package!
Bugaboo Butterfly: Features
- Quick one-handed fold and unfold
- Integrated carry strap for effortless transport
- Ultra-compact fold (IATA-compatible) to take as luggage on a car, train or plane
- Underseat basket holds up to 17.64 lbs to give you plenty of storage
- Large adjustable seat provides first-class comfort for your growing baby
- Full suspension with a sturdy design that's easy to push and steer with one hand
- UPF 50+ sun canopy with extendable breezy panel keeps your baby cool & protected
- Almost fully flat one-hand recline, from 111° to 145° and anything in between
- Car seat compatible with dedicated adapters (sold separately)
- Compatible with a wide variety of Bugaboo accessories for any season and reason
- An integrated 5-position adjustable leg rest that can also double as a carry handle
- A seat inlay that's padded for comfort, and removable for easy machine washing
- A flexible, spring-loaded basket that's easy to load and unload
- Toxic free and water repellent fabrics
Nuna TRVL: Features
- One-hand, multi-position recline and adjustable calf support for added comfort
- One-touch automatic fold - stands when folded
- Progressive front and rear-wheel suspension technology provides a smooth ride
- One-handed steering and exceptional maneuverability make it a dream to push and turn
- Water repellent, easy to clean, UPF 50+ canopy provides both coverage and multiple windows
- Quick-release, no-rethread five-point magnetic harness for easy adjustments
- Luxe leatherette accented push bar and arm bar lend style to your strolls
- Quick release wheels make for an even more compact fold
- Simple, one-touch, rear-wheel braking system
- The removable and rotating arm bar fits kids of all sizes
- Front swivel wheels with swivel locks
- Easy access basket for storing on-the-go essentials
- GREENGUARD Gold Certified: Products that have achieved GREENGUARD Gold Certification are scientifically proven to meet some of the world's most rigorous third-party chemical emissions standards, and certified to not contribute to indoor air pollution or chemical exposure
Bugaboo Butterfly vs. Nuna TRVL: Colors, Fabrics, and Cleaning:
Both strollers offer high-quality fabrics that are free from chemicals. The Bugaboo Butterfly and Nuna TRVL feature leatherette handlebars, black frames and are offered in classic timeless color options. The Nuna TRVL is Green Guard Gold Certified.
How do I clean a Bugaboo Butterfly?
The seat inlay, underseat basket and carry strap fabrics are machine washable at 86°F. The base seat fabric should be washed by hand. Always consult the washing label for exact instructions.
How do I clean a Nuna TRVL?
Spot clean the frame, plastic parts, and fabric with a damp cloth. Refer to the care label attached to the fabric for washing and drying instructions.
What stroller is lighter and smaller the Bugaboo Butterfly or Nuna TRVL?
Size and Dimensions and Specs:
The weight difference between the two strollers is not even one pound, with the Nuna TRVL coming in bit lighter.
The folded dimensions for the Nuna TRVL slightly exceed the carry-on luggage size limits for major airlines like Delta, United, and American, and is not guaranteed to fit in the overhead bin. However, the Nuna TRVL does come with a carry bag that makes gate-checking safe and convenient. Be sure to check with your airline to understand its stroller policies.
The Bugaboo Butterfly folds smaller and is IATA-compatible and approved for storage in the overhead bin, making it a safer bet for carry-on use.
Basket Weight Capacity
Seat Back Height
- Nuna TRVL: 6 months to 50 pounds (from birth with car seat)
- Bugaboo Butterfly: 6 months to 48.5 pounds (from birth with car seat)
Does the Bugaboo Butterfly or Nuna TRVL have an easier fold?
It's easy to get the hang of folding either stroller—especially the Nuna TRVL, which is designed to fold on its own.
To fold the Nuna TRVL, slide the handlebar button with your thumb while pressing with your fingers. Simply let go, and the stroller completes the fold for you. Repeat the same motion to open the stroller with one hand.
To fold the Bugaboo Butterfly, press the two white buttons within the handlebar and lower the stroller until it's locked and standing. Press the same buttons to unlock the stroller and spring it back into place.
Hint: Once folded, the Bugaboo Butterfly does lock itself into place. To unlock with ease, press both buttons at once and slightly push the handlebar forward towards the stroller for it to spring back open.
Both strollers also stand when folded, making them easy to lift without having to bend to the ground. The Bugaboo Butterfly has an integrated carry strap to easily tote the stroller over your shoulder, while the Nuna TRVL can be carried from its bumper bar.
Bugaboo Butterfly vs. Nuna TRVL: Configurations and Car Seat Compatibility
What infant car seats are compatible with the Nuna TRVL?
While the Nuna TRVL is only compatible with Nuna PIPA Infant Car Seats, it does offer an adapter-less connection. Simply recline the seat back and drop any Nuna PIPA Infant Car Seat on top, Nuna PIPA infant car seats feature a latching mechanism that automatically engages the Nuna TRVL bumper bar, securely locking it into place. Nuna PIPA infant car seats are easily removed by squeezing the release point located on the back of the car seat and lifting up from the Nuna PIPA handle bar.
What infant car seats are compatible with the Bugaboo Butterfly?
The Bugaboo Butterfly does offer a wider variety of available infant car seat pairings. Bugaboo offers dedicated Butterfly car seat adapters (sold separately) that are compatible with Bugaboo, Cybex, Clek, Maxi Cosi and Nuna infant car seats. The adapter is two separate pieces that attach on each side of the stroller, compatible infant car seats are lined up on each side and lowered onto each post adapter and then clicked into place. Two hands are needed to release an infant car seat from the Bugaboo Butterfly stroller, there is a release button on each post that must be engaged simultaneously as the car seat is lifted off of the stroller frame. The car seat adapters do need to be removed when folding the stroller
Car Seats Compatible with Bugaboo Butterfly:
The Bugaboo Butterfly Infant Car Seat Adapter fits the below car seats:
- Bugaboo Turtle One and Turtle Air by Nuna
- Clek Liing
- Cybex Aton and Cloud series
- Maxi-Cosi Mico series
- Nuna PIPA series
Can the Bugaboo Butterfly or Nuna TRVL be used as a double stroller?
Neither the Bugaboo Butterfly or Nuna TRVL can be converted to a double stroller. However, Bugaboo does offer a dedicated ride on board specifically designed to fit the Bugaboo Butterfly stroller. The Bugaboo Butterfly has integrated adapters that allow the Bugaboo Butterfly Comfort Wheeled Board+ to be easily connected and released from the bottom of the stroller chassis. The Butterfly Comfort Wheeled Board+ comes with a bike seat attachment that can be removed, offering a sit or stand configuration.
What accessories are available for the Bugaboo Butterfly and Nuna TRVL?
Accessories add convenience and function to your stroller, whether you're gearing up for the weather or simply looking to take drinks and snacks on the road.
Both the Bugaboo Butterfly and Nuna TRVL come with a lightweight carry bag intended to protect the stroller from debris and scratches. Nuna also offers a padded travel bag specifically designed to fit the Nuna TRVL: Nuna TRVL Transport bag with Nuna Boarding Pass protection.
The Nuna TRVL includes a leatherette bumper bar, while the Bugaboo Butterfly bumper bar is sold separately. In turn the Bugaboo Butterfly comes boxed with a rain cover and carry strap; the TRVL Rain Cover is sold separately.
Bugaboo Butterfly Accessories:
- Bumper bar
- Butterfly Comfort Wheeled Board+
- Cup holder
- Footmuff and performance winter footmuff
- Seat liner
- Smartphone holder
- Changing bag
Nuna TRVL Accessories
Why should I purchase a Bugaboo Butterfly?
- Basket is spring-loaded for easier accessibility
- Offers more diverse car seat compatibility
- Significantly taller seat height
- One handed fold and one handed unfold
- More compact fold
- It is travel certified to be IATA compatible, meaning it should fit in overhead compartments of most airplanes
- More accessory options
- Comes with rain cover included
- Does not come with a belly bar
- Adapter must be removed when folding
- Car seat adapter sold separately adding to the overall cost
Why should I purchase a Nuna TRVL?
- Folds by itself with one-handed motion
- Does not require purchase of adapters to attach Nuna infant car seats
- Includes leatherette bumper bar that doubles as carry handle and Nuna PIPA adapter
- Green Guard Gold Certified
- Has two ventilation panels in the canopy and back of the seat
- Magnetic buckle makes it easier to harness your child
- Not compatible with car seats from brands other than Nuna
- Limited accessories, does not come with rain cover included
- Not guaranteed to fit in overhead bin
Is the Bugaboo Butterfly or Nuna TRVL a better choice?
If ease of use is the most important factor when choosing a travel stroller, the Nuna TRVL may be the right decision for your family. The Nuna TRVL folds on its own with the touch of a button and offers direct compatibility with Nuna PIPA infant car seats. If your worried about keeping track of moving parts an adapter-less car seat pairing is definitely a nice convenience.
If you’re a frequent flyer and need a travel stroller that can board the plane with you, the Bugaboo Butterfly may be your perfect travel partner. It’s IATA approval offers stress free travel! For families with two kiddos, the Bugaboo Butterfly allows older siblings to easily hitch a ride on the Butterfly Comfort Wheeled Board+. The taller seat back of the Bugaboo Butterfly also makes it the best choice for older children and taller toddlers!
Still have questions?
Strolleria is dedicated to making the baby gear buying experience less overwhelming for parents.